Etihad transports live sturgeon
Abu Dhabi, April 6, 2011
Etihad Crystal Cargo, the cargo arm of UAE’s national airline, recently transported live reared sturgeon for the world’s biggest caviar factory which is being built in Abu Dhabi.
The 22 adult sturgeon fish were flown from Frankfurt Hahn Airport to Abu Dhabi and then transported to a new 60,000 sq m farm recently commissioned for rearing sturgeons and production of caviar in the UAE.
Roy Kinnear, Etihad Airways’ senior vice president Cargo, said: “Etihad is proud of its reputation for carrying precious cargo and this now includes sturgeon fish which are on the list of global endangered species.”
“The Etihad Crystal Cargo team, working closely with our ground handling colleagues and clients, demonstrated expertise and coordination skills to ensure the fish were shipped safely from Frankfurt to their new home in the UAE,” he added.
Etihad’s clients in the project were the UAE-based Bin Salem Holding and United Food Technologies, a German company, both of who are working together on the development of the caviar factory.
Each sturgeon was transported in a specially designed container in a temperature controlled environment which was always between 10 and 15 degrees centigrade. At each stage of the process the pallets were loaded and unloaded within minutes.
Etihad utilised one of its new A330-200 freighter aircraft, which provides state-of-the-art temperature control technology, to transport the endangered species, a statement said. – TradeArabia News Service
More Industry, Logistics & Shipping Stories
- Legalising timber products trading in focus
- Experts to discuss aviation issues at Abu Dhabi summit
- Gulf Marine Services makes muted London debut
- Emal to supply molten aluminium to Ducab unit
- Ducab acquires British cable firm
- Emirates SkyCargo wins top awards
- Bayer opens new coatings, adhesives lab in Dubai
- Chep Aerospace unveils new ULD mobile app
- Cargo summit calls for cut in transit times
- Dubai bus fare cheapest among top cities
- DHL Express boosts Mideast fleet
- DNV to re-certifiy Drydocks World services
- Amphibious boats make global debut in Dubai
- Qatar sets up mixed business incubator
- Non-oil sectors ‘biggest contributors to UAE economy’
- Alba educates customers on best practices
- Spinneys to set up distribution centre at Kizad
- Maritime courses draw more trainees
- Dow to showcase at Dubai coatings expo
- UAE aluminium sector backs Syria refugees
- Asry in big vessel repair milestone
- Flare, Jordan form parent company ‘Aereon’
- Drydocks delivers second MCV for US
- ASIS launches amphibious leisure boat
- Taskforce sought to develop Saudi downstream sector
- DP World launches $200m India project
- RAK 'exploring' ceramics unit stake sale
- Mideast carriers top global air freight growth
- DMCA launches maritime solution apps
- Saudi plans oil-to-chemicals plant at Yanbu