DP World holds safety training for truckers
Dubai, August 4, 2011
DP World, UAE Region recently held a mandatory safety training programme for around 500 truck drivers working for third party supply chain companies aiming to raise awareness of port area traffic regulations.
It is now mandatory for all private truck drivers to undergo the induction training to obtain or renew facility passes issued by DP World, UAE Region to enter Jebel Ali Port.
The ongoing programme is specially designed to educate the drivers about critical traffic rules on the terminal, such as speed limits, restricted access areas, pedestrian crossings, parking norms, personal protective gear, restrictions on the use of mobile phones while driving and the use of seat belts, among others.
Thousands of heavy-duty truck drivers who use the flagship facility have enrolled in the training course with the aim of enhancing their specialist driving skills and raising public safety standards in and around the port area.
During the first five months of its launch, the truck drivers underwent training with four specialist instructors from Jebel Ali Operations Training Centre. The course included two-hour sessions, conducted in six languages – Arabic, English, Hindi, Urdu, Tamil and Malayalam.
The course material was developed jointly by the Operations Training Centre and the Safety Department based on extensive research and analysis of third party truck movements in Jebel Ali Port’s terminal areas.
“Maintaining the highest levels of public safety in and around the container depots at Jebel Ali Port is a top priority for DP World, UAE Region,” said Mohammed Al Muallem, senior vice president and managing director, DP World UAE Region.
“The stringent safety standards we have in place are designed to protect the life and property of all port users, not just our employees. The truck drivers and their employers form an integral part of this community and we believe they will benefit immensely from our safety campaign.”
Rashed Ali Al Qahtani, chief operating officer, DP World UAE Region, said: “The Training Centre managed by the Jebel Ali Port Operations Department has worked hard to ensure the success of this programme.”
“Our experts have prepared targeted training materials in coordination with the safety department and after thorough analysis of data on traffic violations, types of transport vehicles that use the port and the demographics of the truck drivers.”
“DP World, UAE Region has enhanced safety awareness levels by integrating international safety, health and environmental guidelines with its operations management,” he added. – TradeArabia News Service
More Industry, Logistics & Shipping Stories
- Emal to supply molten aluminium to Ducab unit
- Ducab acquires British cable firm
- Emirates SkyCargo wins top awards
- Bayer opens new coatings, adhesives lab in Dubai
- Chep Aerospace unveils new ULD mobile app
- Cargo summit calls for cut in transit times
- Dubai bus fare cheapest among top cities
- DHL Express boosts Mideast fleet
- DNV to re-certifiy Drydocks World services
- Amphibious boats make global debut in Dubai
- Qatar sets up mixed business incubator
- Non-oil sectors ‘biggest contributors to UAE economy’
- Alba educates customers on best practices
- Spinneys to set up distribution centre at Kizad
- Maritime courses draw more trainees
- Dow to showcase at Dubai coatings expo
- UAE aluminium sector backs Syria refugees
- Asry in big vessel repair milestone
- Flare, Jordan form parent company ‘Aereon’
- Drydocks delivers second MCV for US
- ASIS launches amphibious leisure boat
- Taskforce sought to develop Saudi downstream sector
- DP World launches $200m India project
- RAK 'exploring' ceramics unit stake sale
- Mideast carriers top global air freight growth
- DMCA launches maritime solution apps
- Saudi plans oil-to-chemicals plant at Yanbu
- Sabic gets four bids for JV with Mitsubishi Rayon
- Pentair, IDC launch industrial services JV
- Major maritime conference to be held in Dubai