Kuwait customs workers end strike
Kuwait, October 12, 2011
About 3,000 Kuwait customs employees ended a two-day strike on Wednesday, after being promised by the Gulf state's government that their demands will be met, a union official said.
The strike, part of a wave of strikes by many government worker after the cabinet approved last month better employment conditions for oil sector workers, halted vessel traffic in and out of Kuwaiti ports on Monday, including at least five oil tankers.
'The strike has been suspended after officials understood our demands and promised to meet them,' Ahmed al-Enezi, the head of Kuwait customs employees union, told Reuters on Wednesday.
Sources told Reuters on Tuesday that oil shipments from the Opec member and world's sixth-largest oil exporter started moving, after port clearance for the stranded ships was obtained after delays.
Kuwait's cabinet that it had appointed a committee headed by the country's interior minister to take all necessary measures to run all state businesses that may be impacted by the strike, state news agency Kuna reported.
In late September, Kuwaiti Central Bank employees held a demonstration while employees of the Kuwait Stock Exchange agreed to delay a planned strike and gave authorities three weeks to meet their demands.-Reuters