Causeway trucks backlog cleared
Manama, November 23, 2011
Hundreds of trucks waiting for the last four days to cross the King Fahad Causeway entered Saudi Arabia last night.
Sources told our sister newspaper, the Gulf Daily News, the entire backlog of trucks was cleared after Saudi Customs authorities increased their working hours.
The sources said the problem was solved after intervention of Bahraini authorities who held talks with their Saudi counterparts.
'The problem is over for now,' said one transport company official, who declined to be named.
Meanwhile, a team of young volunteers who had been supplying food and water to the hundreds of truckers since Sunday, last night distributed the food they had collected for the truckers' dinner at a nearby labour camp.
The volunteers, all young professionals working in various fields, were being co-ordinated by Coca-Cola Bottling Company public affairs manager Leila Rajkumar.
'They have contributed their own money and have collected donations from people to finance their efforts,' she told the GDN.
Rajkumar said her company had contributed soft drinks and water.
'Young people, touched by the plight of these drivers, dipped into their own pockets and went around taking a collection to buy food and beverages for the truck drivers,' she added.
She said the relief effort began on Sunday when volunteers distributed dinner to the drivers. – TradeArabia News Service