Qatar Steel secures $250m loan for expansion
Doha, December 4, 2011
Qatar Steel, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Industries Qatar, has secured a $250 million subordinated loan facility from two banks to finance expansion, it said on Sunday.
International Bank of Qatar (IBQ) is acting as facility agent and will provide $150 million of the total while Abu Dhabi-based Union National Bank will fund the remainder.
The statement did not provide details of the pricing or other terms of the medium-term loan facility.
The funding will be used to finance a new steel melt shop, which will produce 1.1 million tonnes of steel a year and is expected to launch in the first quarter of 2013, targeting local and regional markets, Qatar Steel said in a statement said.
Qatar, the world's largest exporter of liquefied natural gas, has been investing in industries other than gas. It launched a $5.7 billion aluminium plant in December 2009 which was inaugurated last year. – Reuters
More Industry, Logistics & Shipping Stories
- Yokogawa wins big order for Saudi desal plant
- Alba on track for record year
- App-controlled car booking to launch in Riyadh
- Bike sharing system launched at Gulf Traffic
- UAE-China trade surges 14pc
- Oman Oil Company unit plans industrial gas JV
- Etihad Cargo implements XML standard
- DI subsidiaries shine at ‘Made in UAE’ expo
- GAC unveils new hull cleaning solution
- Cathay to operate cargo from Al Maktoum airport