Starta wins major Airbus contract
Abu Dhabi, January 15, 2012
Strata Manufacturing, Mubadala Aerospace’s composite aerostructures plant in Al Ain, has won a work package on the new Airbus A350 XWB; the first Airbus aircraft with both fuselage and wing structures made primarily of advanced composites.
Although Strata manufactures other products, this work package is the first that Strata has bid for competitively and won, a statement said.
This achievement comes on the back of an internationally competitive tender process by leading Belgian company Sabca, acting as sole-source Airbus Tier-1 risk sharing partner for the design, industrialisation and manufacturing of the A350XWB flap support structures and flap support fairings.
Through Sabca, Strata will provide flap track fairings for the A350 XWB, complementing its existing Airbus flap track fairing work packages for the manufacturer’s fleet of A330, A340 and the A380 aircraft.
In its initial 18 months of operations, Strata has built a strong reputation within the industry for being a reliable supplier of high quality advanced composite aerostructures, according to the statement.
This particular contract with Sabca runs over the life-time of the A350 programme and its value to Strata will exceed $200 million by 2030, taking Strata’s contracted work, in the last 18 months alone, to well over $1 billion.
Ross Bradley, CEO of Strata said: “This win reinforces Strata’s position as a leading global manufacturer of aerostructures. We have demonstrated our capabilities in delivering cost-effective products of high quality and I am proud we have once again been selected as a key supplier for this important aircraft.”
“Advanced composites are the future of aircraft manufacturing. Strata has been paving the way in this field and is recognized as an industry leader by major aircraft manufacturers; Sabca’s decision to award Strata this contract endorses our reputation as an industry leader.”
Sabca CEO Daniel Blondeel said: “Sabca is a tier one supplier for several OEMs and is an expert in metallic and composite aero structures packages. Since the beginning of 2009, Sabca was selected by Airbus for the development and production of the flap mechanism and fairing assembly package of the A350.”
“Due to its permanent R&T effort, Sabca develops and certifies products based on a concurrent engineering approach guaranteeing best manufacturing processes. As a partner of Airbus, Sabca is today glad to have Strata joining the A350 Program and is confident that it will contribute to the success of the programme,” he added.
Bradley added: “Strata’s commitment to education and Emiratisation is vital for the long-term sustainability of our business.”
In the past 12 months, Strata has been able to raise the proportion of UAE nationals working for the company from 1 per cent to 33 per cent - the majority of which are women.
The Strata facility is a cornerstone at Nibras – the Al Ain Aerospace Park which is being jointly developed by Mubadala Aerospace and the Abu Dhabi Airports Company. – TradeArabia News Service
More Industry, Logistics & Shipping Stories
- Experts to discuss aviation issues at Abu Dhabi summit
- Gulf Marine Services makes muted London debut
- Emal to supply molten aluminium to Ducab unit
- Ducab acquires British cable firm
- Emirates SkyCargo wins top awards
- Bayer opens new coatings, adhesives lab in Dubai
- Chep Aerospace unveils new ULD mobile app
- Cargo summit calls for cut in transit times
- Dubai bus fare cheapest among top cities
- DHL Express boosts Mideast fleet
- DNV to re-certifiy Drydocks World services
- Amphibious boats make global debut in Dubai
- Qatar sets up mixed business incubator
- Non-oil sectors ‘biggest contributors to UAE economy’
- Alba educates customers on best practices
- Spinneys to set up distribution centre at Kizad
- Maritime courses draw more trainees
- Dow to showcase at Dubai coatings expo
- UAE aluminium sector backs Syria refugees
- Asry in big vessel repair milestone
- Flare, Jordan form parent company ‘Aereon’
- Drydocks delivers second MCV for US
- ASIS launches amphibious leisure boat
- Taskforce sought to develop Saudi downstream sector
- DP World launches $200m India project
- RAK 'exploring' ceramics unit stake sale
- Mideast carriers top global air freight growth
- DMCA launches maritime solution apps
- Saudi plans oil-to-chemicals plant at Yanbu
- Sabic gets four bids for JV with Mitsubishi Rayon