Saudi Airlines completes delivery of giant rotor
Jeddah, February 7, 2012
Saudi Airlines Cargo said it has successfully transported a 73 tonne generator rotor, from China to Jeddah on behalf of Rabigh Electricity Company (Rabec).
The rotor is the final part to complete the first Independent Power Project in Saudi Arabia, the $2.5 billion project for a 1200MW steam turbine power station to provide power to the Western Region, the airlines said in a statement.
Manufactured by DEC China, a consortium member of the EPC contractor headed by Sepco III who contracted Saudi Airlines Cargo to provide the required outsized cargo lift necessary to move this urgent piece, the cargo was carried on an Antonov AN124-100 aircraft under contract from Volga-Dnepr to Saudia Cargo.
“Saudi Airlines Cargo’s meticulous on-site and logistical arrangements for the occasion were above expectation and this project milestone would not have been so successful without its commitment and support,” remarked Abdul Aziz Al-Mahdi, executive managing officer at Rabigh Electricity Company.
“The transportation of outsize cargo requires great expertise and planning," said Peter Scholten, VP Commercial at Saudi Airlines Cargo.
"The success of this operation within such a short period of time is a tribute to the excellence of our staff, who worked incredibly hard to ensure that everything went as smoothly as possible," he added.
The AN124-100 is one of the largest cargo aircraft in the world, able to uplift a maximum of 120 tonnes/1000 cubic metres in one flight. Volga Dnepr is the world’s largest transporter of outsize and heavyweight air cargo.
Saudi Airlines Cargo operates scheduled freighter services with 12 freighters and sells the belly-capacity on 140 passenger aircraft for Saudi Arabian Airlines spanning a rapidly expanding global network of 225 destinations, said Scholten.
The cargo airline also provides cost-effective and practical worldwide charter flight solutions from a growing fleet of dedicated charter aircraft,. he added.-TradeArabia News Service
More Industry, Logistics & Shipping Stories
- DHL Express boosts Mideast fleet
- DNV to re-certifiy Drydocks World services
- Amphibious boats make global debut in Dubai
- Qatar sets up mixed business incubator
- Non-oil sectors ‘biggest contributors to UAE economy’
- Alba educates customers on best practices
- Spinneys to set up distribution centre at Kizad
- Maritime courses draw more trainees
- Dow to showcase at Dubai coatings expo
- UAE aluminium sector backs Syria refugees
- Asry in big vessel repair milestone
- Flare, Jordan form parent company ‘Aereon’
- Drydocks delivers second MCV for US
- ASIS launches amphibious leisure boat
- Taskforce sought to develop Saudi downstream sector
- DP World launches $200m India project
- RAK 'exploring' ceramics unit stake sale
- Mideast carriers top global air freight growth
- DMCA launches maritime solution apps
- Saudi plans oil-to-chemicals plant at Yanbu
- Sabic gets four bids for JV with Mitsubishi Rayon
- Pentair, IDC launch industrial services JV
- Major maritime conference to be held in Dubai
- GPIC wins key IFA certification
- Gulf rules must aid e-commerce: Aramex
- Gulftainer expands 2013 ops by 50pc
- DMCA to take part in Dubai boat show
- Al Namal to launch eco-friendly chillers
- Abu Dhabi city ports to receive facelift
- Kuwait Styrene posts $180m net profit