Etihad carries record cargo in March
Abu Dhabi, April 8, 2012
Etihad Airways, the national airline of the UAE, carried a record 31,700 tonnes of cargo in March, an increase of 20 per cent on the previous year.
Total revenues for the month were up 14 per cent on February and 19 per cent on the corresponding period the previous year. In February, Etihad Airways carried 27,900 tonnes of freight.
“Etihad Airways had a record month in March in terms of cargo carried and revenue generated. We saw very strong demand from Asia throughout the month as activity picked up after a slow start to the year,” said David Kerr, Etihad Airways vice president Cargo.
“European traffic was also firm, as it has been throughout the first quarter, and demand into and out of America has also rallied.”
“Etihad Airways has benefited in the first three months of 2012 from increased capacity as a result of taking delivery of a B777 freighter at the end of last year, and from opening new passenger routes. Looking ahead, we expect to maintain strong freight performance over the second quarter of the year,” he added.
Etihad Airways cargo operations accounted for up to 20 per cent of the airline’s overall revenues in 2011, when average monthly loads were 25,900 tonnes. The airline has a fleet of seven freighter aircraft. – TradeArabia News Service
More Industry, Logistics & Shipping Stories
- Ecuador to boost UAE non-oil exports
- Alba moves to cloud with Microsoft
- Etihad Cargo posts record freight in Q4
- Dabbagh plans stake sale in lubricants arm
- Saudi Alkhabeer buys key stake in UAE packaging firm
- Kaloti breaks ground on Dubai gold refinery
- Drydocks World creates history in heavy lifts
- Pentair to set up manufacturing unit in Saudi
- Alba supports major energy summit
- Polysys Additive breaks ground in Kizad