GE opens eco-friendly office in Abu Dhabi
Abu Dhabi, May 2, 2012
GE has opened a new office in Abu Dhabi featuring sustainable design using recycled and renewable materials, as well as its ecomagination-certified products.
The new green and contemporary office is located in Sowwah Square, the commercial business district development and a central component of Mubadala Real Estate & Hospitality’s flagship development, Al Maryah Island.
The new GE office is spread over 3,800 sq m across two levels in Sowwah Square, which features an innovative architecture and integrates sustainable design leading to LEED Environmental Pre-certification, a rating that reflects the environment-friendliness of the development.
The office has been designed by AK Design, a multi-disciplinary architectural and interior design firm, with a focus on openness and transparency.
Nabil Habayeb, GE’s president & chief executive officer for Mena and Turkey, said: “With our new office in Abu Dhabi, we are putting into practice our commitment to sustainable development and partnering in the Emirate’s vision to create sustainable cities of the future.”
“We have a long history of partnership with Abu Dhabi, and have also joined hands with Mubadala Development Company to promote collaborations in commercial finance, clean energy research and development, aviation, and corporate learning.
“The new office is a clear testament to our long-term growth outlook for Abu Dhabi and our commitment to support the Emirate’s Economic Vision 2030 with a focus on promoting a sustainable urban development framework.”
The new GE office combines four office sites of the company in Abu Dhabi, with total employee strength of nearly 300.
Offering a spacious 13 sq m of office space for every individual staff member, the Sowwah Square office will have the largest contingent of GE Energy and GE Oil & Gas teams – in line with the company’s operations in the Emirate.
Nearly 78 percent of the office follows an open plan, aimed at further enhancing employee welfare.
The GE office further builds on the LEED Environmental Pre-certification of Sowwah Square by reflecting the same high standards in sustainability in its interiors.
With a focus on enhancing energy efficiency, the office is aesthetically designed to roll out one of the best work environments for employees. The design also takes into consideration enhanced light penetration and maximises external views of Al Maryah Island, a picturesque location, easily accessible from the heart of the city through an advanced network of roads and bridges.
All the products used in the design have been chosen for their recycled content, sustainability and minimal impact on climate change. Daylight control sensors as well as motion sensors have been deployed to maximize energy use efficiency. All appliances and lighting are from GE’s own portfolio, and have been selected for their environmental friendliness.
GE has a history of over 80 years of presence in the region, and has its regional headquarters in Dubai. – TradeArabia News Service
More Industry, Logistics & Shipping Stories
- Asry in big vessel repair milestone
- Flare, Jordan form parent company ‘Aereon’
- Drydocks delivers second MCV for US
- ASIS launches amphibious leisure boat
- Taskforce sought to develop Saudi downstream sector
- DP World launches $200m India project
- RAK 'exploring' ceramics unit stake sale
- Mideast carriers top global air freight growth
- DMCA launches maritime solution apps
- Saudi plans oil-to-chemicals plant at Yanbu
- Sabic gets four bids for JV with Mitsubishi Rayon
- Pentair, IDC launch industrial services JV
- Major maritime conference to be held in Dubai
- GPIC wins key IFA certification
- Gulf rules must aid e-commerce: Aramex
- Gulftainer expands 2013 ops by 50pc
- DMCA to take part in Dubai boat show
- Al Namal to launch eco-friendly chillers
- Abu Dhabi city ports to receive facelift
- Kuwait Styrene posts $180m net profit
- Drydocks set for key energy event
- Aramex launches new address check system
- Toshiba in green push at Bahrain expo
- Equate net profit surges 14pc to $1.2bn
- Shaikh Daij named new Alba chairman
- Al Abbas wins logistics rights to Sudan
- Milaha profits jump 14pc to top $260m
- BIC, Al Zayani renew partnership
- Dubai Metro to open 2 stations Saturday
- Top petchem firms back UAE plastics events