DP World completes major port upgrade
Dubai, June 12, 2012
DP World, the Dubai-based global marine operator, has announced the completion of the first phase of Al Hamriya port development plan aimed at modernising and upgrading the port to meet customers and fishermen’s growing needs.
The first phase officially opened on Tuesday includes the upgrading of 1 million square feet of yard, which has been paved, metal fenced, and gated. These open yards are now available for lease for traders and logistics companies, said a senior official of DP World, UAE Region.
Unveiling the details of the next phase, Mohammed Al Muallem, senior VP and managing director, DP World, UAE Region, and Ghanem Al Abbar, deputy director, Al Hamriya Port, said it includes a modern facility for the exclusive use of the fishing industry at the port.
According to Al Muallem, the construction work has already begun on the facility and is due to be completed this year. The development will create a new 1,650-metre long wharf with a capacity to accommodate 190 fishing boats.
The changes will strengthen Al Hamriya Port’s traditional capability and leverage the strategic location of the port in the centre of Dubai, he stated.
"After 35 successful years as a vital regional hub for re-export and fishing, we are equipping Al Hamriya Port to deliver significant services of value to both the shipping industry and the fishing community," he remarked.
"Our expansion plans are in direct response to the needs of our customers and the fishing community and we are confident the new facilities will further cement the excellent relations we have with all our port users," he noted.
Mohammed Ali Ahmed, the chief operations officer, DP World, UAE region, said, "Al Hamriya Port offers traders power and telecom connectivity, 24x7 security monitored by CCTV, totally new control tower equipped with latest marine equipment."
"A new IT network was installed to link the operations with the gate with the control tower. Also the project covered re-developing the main gate for in and out, new signboards, and drainage system," he revealed.
Khalifah Sultan, the director of Al Hamriya Port said, "It plays a key role in facilitating non-containerised cargo movements between Dubai and countries in the Gulf, South Asia and East Africa. It also serves the local fishing industry."
"The current upgrade plans are aimed at delivering sustainable value to our customers through operational innovation," he added.
DP World operates more than 60 terminals across six continents(1), with container handling generating around 80 per cent of its revenue. In addition, the company currently has 11 new developments and major expansions underway in 10 countries.-TradeArabia News Service
More Industry, Logistics & Shipping Stories
- Gulf Marine Services makes muted London debut
- Emal to supply molten aluminium to Ducab unit
- Ducab acquires British cable firm
- Emirates SkyCargo wins top awards
- Bayer opens new coatings, adhesives lab in Dubai
- Chep Aerospace unveils new ULD mobile app
- Cargo summit calls for cut in transit times
- Dubai bus fare cheapest among top cities
- DHL Express boosts Mideast fleet
- DNV to re-certifiy Drydocks World services
- Amphibious boats make global debut in Dubai
- Qatar sets up mixed business incubator
- Non-oil sectors ‘biggest contributors to UAE economy’
- Alba educates customers on best practices
- Spinneys to set up distribution centre at Kizad
- Maritime courses draw more trainees
- Dow to showcase at Dubai coatings expo
- UAE aluminium sector backs Syria refugees
- Asry in big vessel repair milestone
- Flare, Jordan form parent company ‘Aereon’
- Drydocks delivers second MCV for US
- ASIS launches amphibious leisure boat
- Taskforce sought to develop Saudi downstream sector
- DP World launches $200m India project
- RAK 'exploring' ceramics unit stake sale
- Mideast carriers top global air freight growth
- DMCA launches maritime solution apps
- Saudi plans oil-to-chemicals plant at Yanbu
- Sabic gets four bids for JV with Mitsubishi Rayon
- Pentair, IDC launch industrial services JV