Dubal wins top Ideas.Arabia awards
Dubai, May 5, 2013
Dubai Aluminium (Dubal) has recently won awards in two categories in Ideas.Arabia Idea of the Year Competition 2013, bringing the total number of awards garnered by the company since the inception of the contest to 21.
The award ceremony was held at Grand Hyatt Dubai, under the patronage of Sheikh Ahmed bin Saeed Al Maktoum (president of the Dubai Department of Civil Aviation and chairman of Emirates Group).
Dubal won the 2013 Ideas.Arabia Productivity Award for the suggestion entitled “Modify bus bar moulds mounting instead of buying new tundishes”, which was submitted by T Imran, E Flores and R Dayrit of Casthouse Services, a statement from the company said.
The idea, which entailed modifying the mould-mountings, has allowed new moulds to be fixed onto existing tundishes for use in casting bigger-sized bus bars, thereby saving on costs and improving working conditions. The idea has also overcome the prior time delay in waiting for new tundishes, the statement said.
The 2013 Ideas.Arabia Health & Safety Award went to “Improve start-up dam system on DC 1&2 tables”, submitted by M Fayaz, M Asi and M Hussain. By introducing a semi-automated and semi-manual dam-lifting system, mould-filling in the DC casting area can be managed by a single operator (instead of two, as was previously the case).
This ensures uniformity in the casting process, thus improving billet quality; and the margin of error is reduced such that performing the task is also safer (both for the operator and in terms of plant operational security).
2013 Ideas.Arabia Health & Safety Award went to “Pot shell and collector bar cooling system”, submitted by A Safar and P Thiyagarajan. When the pot temperature increases excessively (such as in high voltage conditions), the pot needs to be cooled to prevent any tap out or bath leakage from the shell.
Previously, an employee would have to enter the pot trench for this purpose, thus being in danger of serious and even fatal burn injury should the pot begin to leak. By designing and fabricating a cooling blower system for side shell and collector bar cooling, the pots can now be cooled effectively and safely (under abnormal operations).
Abdulla Kalban, president & CEO, said: “The independent recognition of Dubal’s efforts in innovation highlights both the level of creativity within our organisation and the inherent value of inviting employees to engage with our company. It also proves that Dubal has immense potential for the future and confirms that which we have always believed, namely that our employees are our greatest asset.”
“A culture of innovation is encouraged through the DUBAL Suggestion Scheme, which celebrated its 32 years in 2013,” Sultan Al Sabri, vice president, human resources and organisational effectiveness. “Dubal is a pioneer of the employee involvement movement, having established its award-winning Suggestion Scheme in May 1981.”
“A large number of organisations, both locally and internationally, have used the company’s suggestion scheme as a model for developing similar programmes. Confirming the value placed by Dubal on innovation-based continuous improvement, the company was the main sponsor of the 8th Ideas.Arabia International Conference 2013. Previously, DUBAL was the main sponsor of the event (for the first three years and in 2012), and the platinum sponsor for the sixth event.” – TradeArabia News Service
More Industry, Logistics & Shipping Stories
- Spinneys to set up distribution centre at Kizad
- Maritime courses draw more trainees
- Dow to showcase at Dubai coatings expo
- UAE aluminium sector backs Syria refugees
- Asry in big vessel repair milestone
- Flare, Jordan form parent company ‘Aereon’
- Drydocks delivers second MCV for US
- ASIS launches amphibious leisure boat
- Taskforce sought to develop Saudi downstream sector
- DP World launches $200m India project
- RAK 'exploring' ceramics unit stake sale
- Mideast carriers top global air freight growth
- DMCA launches maritime solution apps
- Saudi plans oil-to-chemicals plant at Yanbu
- Sabic gets four bids for JV with Mitsubishi Rayon
- Pentair, IDC launch industrial services JV
- Major maritime conference to be held in Dubai
- GPIC wins key IFA certification
- Gulf rules must aid e-commerce: Aramex
- Gulftainer expands 2013 ops by 50pc
- DMCA to take part in Dubai boat show
- Al Namal to launch eco-friendly chillers
- Abu Dhabi city ports to receive facelift
- Kuwait Styrene posts $180m net profit
- Drydocks set for key energy event
- Aramex launches new address check system
- Toshiba in green push at Bahrain expo
- Equate net profit surges 14pc to $1.2bn
- Shaikh Daij named new Alba chairman
- Al Abbas wins logistics rights to Sudan