Dubal, Mubadala take over Guinea Alumina Corp
Dubai, July 10, 2013
Dubai Aluminium (Dubal), the owner of the world's largest single-site primary aluminium smelter and Abu Dhabi state investment fund Mubadala have secured the full ownership of Guinea Alumina Corporation (GAC).
A leading producer of alumina in West Africa, GAC also mines for the raw material bauxite.
Announcing the GAC takeover, Dubal said along with Mubadala it had successfully acquired the remaining GAC stake from US-based Global Alumina Corporation and BHP Billiton, a leading resources company.
Dubal and Mubadala are also joint venture partners in Emirates Aluminium (Emal), a leading UAE-based Aluminium smelter at Al Taweelah, Abu Dhabi.
The acquisition move comes following the recent announcement of the creation of Emirates Global Aluminium (EGA) by Dubal through integration of its business with Emal.
An entirely state-owned enterprise, Dubal has invested in joint venture bauxite/alumina projects, notably in Brazil, Cameroon, and the Republic of Guinea; as well as in a joint venture calciner development project in China.
The GAC acquisition will help the Dubal JV firm to embark on a global expansion and make it the fifth largest aluminium company in the world, said Dubal in a statement.-TradeArabia News Service
More Industry, Logistics & Shipping Stories
- Amphibious boat debuts in Dubai
- Qatar sets up mixed business incubator
- Non-oil sectors ‘biggest contributors to UAE economy’
- Alba educates customers on best practices
- Spinneys to set up distribution centre at Kizad
- Maritime courses draw more trainees
- Dow to showcase at Dubai coatings expo
- UAE aluminium sector backs Syria refugees
- Asry in big vessel repair milestone
- Flare, Jordan form parent company ‘Aereon’
- Drydocks delivers second MCV for US
- ASIS launches amphibious leisure boat
- Taskforce sought to develop Saudi downstream sector
- DP World launches $200m India project
- RAK 'exploring' ceramics unit stake sale
- Mideast carriers top global air freight growth
- DMCA launches maritime solution apps
- Saudi plans oil-to-chemicals plant at Yanbu
- Sabic gets four bids for JV with Mitsubishi Rayon
- Pentair, IDC launch industrial services JV
- Major maritime conference to be held in Dubai
- GPIC wins key IFA certification
- Gulf rules must aid e-commerce: Aramex
- Gulftainer expands 2013 ops by 50pc
- DMCA to take part in Dubai boat show
- Al Namal to launch eco-friendly chillers
- Abu Dhabi city ports to receive facelift
- Kuwait Styrene posts $180m net profit
- Drydocks set for key energy event
- Aramex launches new address check system