Dubai extends metro cabin capacity for women
Dubai, August 26, 2013
The Roads and Transportation Authority (RTA) of Dubai will extend the capacity of the women and children metro cabin to broaden its accommodation for taking more passengers during peak hours, said a top official.
“The number of women and children metro passengers have noticeably increased thanks primarily to the growth in the PT culture among the public from different social cross-sections including women and children,” said Ramadan Abdulla, an official at RTA’s Rail Agency.
“So in reply to such a rise in the number of these commuters, we decided to extend the current capacity of their metro cabin to reach half of silver cabin.
“The reason why we extend this metro cabin capacity is we are committed to make the metro trip smoother and more comfortable for women and children, especially that this segment of metro users need to be more taken of due to their privacy,” he added.
Abdulla explained that the extension service will be active during peak hours from 7am to 9am and from 5pm to 8pm from Sunday to Thursday.
The RTA allocated a special Dubai metro compartment for women & children to provide, in addition to privacy, more space to allow strollers and bags.
Dubai Metro, launched on September 9, 2009 transits currently around 400,000 thousand riders a day via its Red and Green Lines. This PT mode represents the world’s longest driverless metro with 75 km long. – TradeArabia News Service
More Industry, Logistics & Shipping Stories
- Johnson Controls, Hitachi in AC venture
- OICT installs nextgen cranes at Sohar Port
- Saudi petchem giants eye share-swap merger in 2014
- Expo focus on UAE manufacturing sector
- Abu Dhabi port sets container throughput record
- Alba unit to mark HSE week
- Mideast air freight growth up 12.3pc
- Tycoon Sawiris announces $1bn Egypt investment
- Drydocks to build giant jack-up rigs in Dubai
- iMENA unveils big Saudi investment plans