DHL opens Mena's largest ground ops facility
Dubai, June 19, 2014
DHL, a global logistics company, has opened its largest ground operations facility in the Mena region in Dubai.
Located at Meydan, DHL’s latest Dh100 million ($272.2 million) investment will also endure the company’s continued growth and innovation in the UAE and the wider region resulting in even better transit times and network reliability.
Along with DHL partner, MGE Middle East General Enterprise, the new facility will serve to enhance DHL’s competitive advantage in the logistics industry due to its strategic location between Dubai International Airport and Dubai World Central – Al Maktoum International Airport, its state-of-the-art features and technological capabilities and best in class handling processes, all within one new modern and iconic facility.
Spanning across an area of 186,000 sq ft which is equivalent to 2.5 football pitches, some features of the new facility include:
• Almost 100,000 sq ft of indoor sorting and loading area
• Approximately 50,000 sq ft of office space which will also serve as DHL’s new head office for the UAE
• Indoor loading for up to 120 courier vans, giving more security to customer’s shipments, without exposure to sun or rain
• Over 100 CCTV cameras keeping track of every shipment across the facility, filming three months’ worth of footage in just one day
• A conveyer and sorting belt extending over two floors that’s up to 300m long, almost as tall as Burj Al Arab
• The conveyor belt can automatically weigh, measure and photograph up to 72,000 shipments per day
Frank-Uwe Ungerer, country manager for DHL Express UAE, said: “We are very proud to move into this new iconic building which is strategically located in the new heart of Dubai. Being located between Dubai International Airport and Al Maktoum International Airport will definitely benefit our customers by offering even faster pick-up and delivery services.”
“The new facility also offers our employees state of the art utilities as well as recreational and health promoting facilities like the gym and gaming room to make sure our international specialists remain motivated and further maintain DHL’s position as being the best employer in the Middle East.”
Saeed Humaid Al Tayer, chairman and chief executive officer at Meydan Group said: “We are delighted to be a part of this revolution in the logistics industry; the new facility will play a key role in the rapid commercial growth that we are experiencing in Dubai. Furthermore, DHL’s on-going commitment to advancing the logistics field in the Middle East gives us full confidence in the partnership.” – TradeArabia News Service