Doha’s new port to be operational by 2016
Doha, August 29, 2014
The first phase of the QR27 billion ($7.4 billion) New Port Project in Doha, Qatar, is set to be operational by the end of 2016 with the initial capacity to accommodate two million containers, said a report.
It eventually be increased to six million containers once the project is fully complete by 2020, according to a report in The Peninsula newspaper.
A committee briefed Qatar’s Premier and Interior Minister Sheikh Abdullah bin Nasser bin Khalifa Al Thani, on the completed phases of the 26-sq-km project and the remaining ones, it said.
The project has so far recorded 45 million accident-free working hours with the number of workers on the project increasing from 9,000 to 18,000 during peak construction periods.
The last stone to the wall of the new port's basin has been laid, marking the completion of around 45 to 50 per cent of the project, and this will be followed by submerging the basin in water by the end of next year.
The basin's wall comprises 35,224 stones. Each of them weighs 100 tonnes and is made up of a precast concrete block, said the report.
The excavation work in the basin is expected to complete in December, a month ahead of schedule, it added.
When complete, the new port in Doha will be able to compete with its largest rivals in the Middle East.