Sunday 25 August 2019
 
»
 
»
Story

Cyclone-hit Salalah Port to restart operations on June 1

MUSCAT, May 31, 2018

Oman’s Port of Salalah is preparing to restart operations after Cyclone Mekunu almost shut down the transshipment and logistics hub last week, said a report.

The port will receive its first container vessel following the cyclone on June 1, added the Oman Daily Observer report.

Mohammed al Mashani, general manager - corporate affairs, Port of Salalah, said that efforts are under way to get the port’s General Cargo Terminal (GCT), the main gateway for mineral and other bulk commodity exports, into operation again.

He added that the company is working round the clock to get port services back on track.

Al Mashani noted that emergency crews were making positive progress in tackling the significant disruption caused by flash floods that had inundated swathes of the port complex.

He further added that the runoff from wadis flooded upstream of Raysut, where the port is located, and had swamped the hub, inundating buildings, electrical systems, equipment and other gear.

Al Mashani said that the electrical and potable water supply to the port has remained disrupted as a result, impacting efforts to restore operations.

The official confirmed that the container terminal will be open by June 1, and they will gradually ramp up operations.




Tags: | cyclone | operations | Salalah Port | June |

More Industry, Logistics & Shipping Stories

calendarCalendar of Events

Ads