Dubai fireworks depot blaze kills two
Dubai, March 26, 2008
At least two people were killed and two injured when a fire engulfed a fireworks warehouse in Dubai on Wednesday, police said.
The fire caused an explosion and brought parts of the city to a standstill.
Witnesses said the blaze in the Al Quoz industrial district of the Gulf trade and tourism hub sent a cloud of thick, black smoke into the sky and ash raining down.
Fire engines and ambulances rushed to the blaze, which broke out before the morning rush hour and spread to surrounding depots and workshops. Nearby schools were closed.
The fire has now been extinguished, residents said.
The official WAM news agency said the fire broke out because fireworks were being stored in an unsafe way.- Reuters
More INTERNATIONAL NEWS Stories
- Difficult to have Iran at Syria talks, says US official
- Libya must use force to seize oil ports
- US military aircraft hit in Sudan
- Egypt sends Mursi to trial in third case
- Turkish ministers' sons held in graft probe
- US Senate to vote on new Iran sanctions bill
- US caution over Syria talks prompts opposition doubts
- Hezbollah leader warns Israel of revenge
- EU officials slam S&P after ratings downgrade
- India protests intensify in US diplomat row