13 killed in India train blaze
Hyderabad, August 1, 2008
At least 13 people were killed when a fire believed to have been sparked by a short circuit spread through a train in Andhra Pradesh early on Friday while many passengers were asleep, police said.
Five coaches of the Gautami Express, which was travelling from Hyderabad to Kakinada on the coast, were gutted in the massive pre-dawn fire.
Railway officials have ruled out sabotage and said the fire was apparently caused by a short circuit.
Rescue workers had difficulty reaching the accident site, which was inaccessible by road. Darkness hampered the rescue work.-Reuters
More INTERNATIONAL NEWS Stories
- US House agrees $633bn in defence spending
- Chemical arms used repeatedly in Syria: UN
- World shares tumble on Fed jitters
- EU industrial output falls sharply in Oct
- Kuwait spy chief worried by Iraq turmoil
- US lawmakers push to introduce new Iran bill
- Yemen close to $550m IMF loan deal
- 3 more Swiss banks join US tax deal
- US, Britain suspend aid to Northern Syria
- Iran to set date for IAEA visit to uranium mine