13 killed in India train blaze
Hyderabad, August 1, 2008
At least 13 people were killed when a fire believed to have been sparked by a short circuit spread through a train in Andhra Pradesh early on Friday while many passengers were asleep, police said.
Five coaches of the Gautami Express, which was travelling from Hyderabad to Kakinada on the coast, were gutted in the massive pre-dawn fire.
Railway officials have ruled out sabotage and said the fire was apparently caused by a short circuit.
Rescue workers had difficulty reaching the accident site, which was inaccessible by road. Darkness hampered the rescue work.-Reuters
More INTERNATIONAL NEWS Stories
- Two Europeans not on board 'missing' Malaysian jet
- China draws red line on North Korea
- Saudi sentences three to death for 2003 bombing
- First bitcoin machine opens in UK
- US sanctions will boomerang, warns Russia
- China plans $50bn bank to fund projects
- Sony to sell Tokyo 'birthplace'
- Obama orders sanctions over Russian moves
- Crimea parliament votes to join Russia
- Arab League to be revamped
- 'Upskirting' is legal: Massachusetts court
- Singapore probes 'unnatural' death of bitcoin trader
- Onus on world powers for Syria war crimes: UN
- US, Russia set for talks on Ukraine crisis
- Brent oil drops below $109
- Services outshine manufacturing, pushing up jobs
- Bitcoin bank shut down after hacker attack
- India to kick off world's biggest poll on April 7
- China signals focus on reforms
- Hundreds ready for bitcoin exchange class action
- Space taxi, Jupiter mission in Obama budget
- Putin: Use of force last resort in Ukraine
- Powers to boost Lebanese military, economy
- Egypt bans Hamas activities in Egypt
- Putin ends army exercise, markets rally
- Russia has violated international law: Obama
- Russian markets hit as Putin tightens grip on Crimea
- Iran nuclear deal 'being implemented as planned'
- Global factory growth stumbles as demand falters
- Obama warns of 'fallout' for Israel if peace effort fails