Gaza militants launch rockets at Israel
Jerusalem, November 8, 2008
Seven rockets and mortar bombs fired from the Gaza Strip struck inside Israel on Friday, causing no damage or casualties, an Israeli military spokeswoman said.
The Palestinian Islamic Jihad militant group said its gunmen had launched 14 rockets against Israel during the day in response to Israeli operations in the area.
An Islamic Jihad spokesman said the group would consider stopping launching rockets if Israel ceased its actions.
"It depends on Israel, if they stop their aggression and abide by the truce we are ready to consider stopping firing," Abu Ahmed of the Islamic Jihad armed wing said.
Palestinian militant groups fired rockets earlier this week after Israel killed six gunmen in a raid and in air strikes on Tuesday, in a first clash with Hamas Islamists since an Egyptian-brokered truce came into effect in June.-Reuters
More INTERNATIONAL NEWS Stories
- Rockets hit south Beirut after Hezbollah vow
- UK jets escort Pakistan plane, 2 arrested
- HSBC urges regulators to speed up reforms
- US sees jump in durable goods orders
- UK co-op bank halts loans to customers
- Jet Airways posts $89m quarterly loss
- Top US banks 'involved in mortgage abuse'
- UK police ponder conspiracy after soldier murder
- Truck strike may have caused US bridge collapse
- Icahn seeks up to $7bn for Dell bid