Winter Olympics games open
Vancouver, February 13, 2010
The Winter Olympics were officially opened by Canada's Governor General Michaelle Jean in Vancouver yesterday (February 12) after a ceremony in which the death of an athlete earlier in the day loomed large.
The two-and-a-half hour curtainraiser focused strongly on native aboriginal culture and history in the first indoor ceremony in the 86-year history of the winter games.
Nodar Kumaritashvili, a 21-year-old luger from Georgia, died in a training run crash at the whistler sliding centre earlier on Friday.
International Olympic Committee president Jacques Rogge wore a black tie, and a black stripe was added to the flag of the Georgian team, who said earlier they would continue to compete in the games in honour of their 'fallen comrade'.
The team also wore black scarves and armbands. – Reuters
More INTERNATIONAL NEWS Stories
- Libyan port rebels say ready for talks
- India puts on hold search for missing plane
- Alibaba plans US listing in third-quarter
- Lost airliner was diverted deliberately: Malaysian PM
- Saudi demands Qatar shut down Al Jazeera
- Labour stalwart Benn dies aged 88
- Bahrain boat show postponed over development work
- Korean steel maker Posco set for revamp
- Harsh winter hits US consumer sentiment
- Sanctions set as Russia presses on with Crimea takeover
- India inflation at nine-month low
- Missing plane: It's deliberate act says Malaysia PM
- Lost plane 'flown deliberately toward Andamans'
- Gold hits fresh six-month highs
- Iran not open for business, affirms Kerry
- Barclays 'to cut thousands of jobs'
- Jet sent 'pings' after going missing
- China premier warns on economic slowdown
- Gunmen fire on army bus in Cairo, 1 killed
- Lost jet 'may have flown for four hours'
- Gold up as Ukraine, China prompt safe-haven bids
- Search finds no sign of lost plane at suspect spot
- Missing jet may have strayed to Andaman
- Gold hits near 6-month high
- 2 killed in Manhattan building blast
- Cameron pushes for travel bans on Russian MPs
- Indian coastguards join Malaysia jet search
- Confusion as search for lost jet spreads
- Military denies lost plane's flight to Malacca
- Investors monitoring Pimco after internal strife