Eurostar to reopen tunnel link after fire alert
Paris, May 15, 2010
Eurostar said it had reopened one of the Channel Tunnel's two tunnels after a fire alert briefly closed the undersea rail link between Britain and France early on Saturday.
'We have been authorised to reopen the tunnel,' a spokeswoman for Eurostar told Reuters. She said the northern tunnel had been reopened but the south tunnel, where the fire alert was reported, was still closed and was being investigated.
The spokeswoman said the link had been closed as a precaution after smoke had been seen in the southern tunnel following the passage of a train.-Reuters
More INTERNATIONAL NEWS Stories
- Obama warns Sudan after US military jet hit
- Somali parliament approves new PM
- Ice storms, rain hinder holiday travel across US
- Difficult to have Iran at Syria talks, says US official
- Libya must use force to seize oil ports
- US military aircraft hit in Sudan
- Egypt sends Mursi to trial in third case
- Turkish ministers' sons held in graft probe
- US Senate to vote on new Iran sanctions bill
- US caution over Syria talks prompts opposition doubts