Cleric calls for Muslim-only maids
Riyadh, July 27, 2010
A Saudi cleric said only Muslim housemaids should be allowed in the kingdom and they should be kept segregated from men in the home.
“If there is a need to import workers as female domestics, they should be Muslims,” Shaikh Yusef Al Ahmad, a lecturer at Riyadh’s Imam Mohammed bin Saudi University, told the sabq.org website.
He also said female domestics should cover themselves and have a male relative guardian with them, said a report in our sister newspaper, the Gulf Daily News. – TradeArabia News Service
More INTERNATIONAL NEWS Stories
- Iran, powers to resume nuclear talks after snag
- BP flags Gulf of Mexico find, $1bn Brazil writedown
- Citi, Merill Lynch face US fraud charges
- India hardens stand in diplomat arrest row
- Ukraine's president under pressure over Russia bailout
- 500 feared dead in South Sudan clashes
- UK to launch shale gas licencing
- Indian parliament approves key anti-graft bill
- Syria region excluded from polio vaccine drive
- Row deepens over Indian diplomat's arrest in US