France trusts US to get out of tough period
Paris, August 6, 2011
France has faith in the ability of the US to get out of this "difficult period" and it is too early to say if a G7 meeting will be brought forward, Finance Minister Francois Baroin told French iTele on Saturday.
Reacting to the downgrading of the US’ credit rating by Standard & Poor's, Baroin said: "France for its part... has complete faith in the solidity of the US economy.
"The unemployment numbers published yesterday showed a positive shift, better than expected, so it is going in the right direction," he added.
Baroin recalled that under President Bill Clinton, the US had defaulted on its debt payments for a few days.
"Therefore, one should not dramatise, one needs to remain cool-headed, one should look at the fundamentals." – Reuters
More INTERNATIONAL NEWS Stories
- Saudi demands Qatar shut down Al Jazeera
- Labour stalwart Benn dies aged 88
- Bahrain boat show postponed over development work
- Korean steel maker Posco set for revamp
- Harsh winter hits US consumer sentiment
- Sanctions set as Russia presses on with Crimea takeover
- India inflation at nine-month low
- Missing plane: It's deliberate act says Malaysia PM
- Lost plane 'flown deliberately toward Andamans'
- Gold hits fresh six-month highs
- Iran not open for business, affirms Kerry
- Barclays 'to cut thousands of jobs'
- Jet sent 'pings' after going missing
- China premier warns on economic slowdown
- Gunmen fire on army bus in Cairo, 1 killed
- Lost jet 'may have flown for four hours'
- Gold up as Ukraine, China prompt safe-haven bids
- Search finds no sign of lost plane at suspect spot
- Missing jet may have strayed to Andaman
- Gold hits near 6-month high
- 2 killed in Manhattan building blast
- Cameron pushes for travel bans on Russian MPs
- Indian coastguards join Malaysia jet search
- Confusion as search for lost jet spreads
- Military denies lost plane's flight to Malacca
- Investors monitoring Pimco after internal strife
- N Korea tanker ‘leaves Libya rebel port carrying oil’
- Malaysia plane incident not terror related: Interpol
- Crimea closes air space to commercial flights
- Missing Malaysian plane last seen At Malacca Strait