Gaddafi forces bombard Tripoli airport, damage plane
Tripoli, August 27, 2011
Forces loyal to fugitive Libyan strongman Muammar Gaddafi have bombarded the capital's airport on Friday, damaging a plane, Dubai-based Al Arabiya TV reported.
There was an exchange of gunfire between Gaddafi forces and rebel fighters near the airport, the channel said in a rolling banner headline.
Libyan rebels stormed Tripoli's Abu Salim district, one of the main holdouts of forces loyal to Gaddafi in the capital, after Nato air strikes on a building in the area on Thursday.-Reuters
More INTERNATIONAL NEWS Stories
- Egypt sends Mursi to trial in third case
- Turkish ministers' sons held in graft probe
- US Senate to vote on new Iran sanctions bill
- US caution over Syria talks prompts opposition doubts
- Hezbollah leader warns Israel of revenge
- EU officials slam S&P after ratings downgrade
- India protests intensify in US diplomat row
- White House warns against new Iran sanctions
- 90 hurt as ceiling collapses at London theatre
- Gulf stocks surge as Fed tapering adds fuel to fire