Gaddafi forces bombard Tripoli airport, damage plane
Tripoli, August 27, 2011
Forces loyal to fugitive Libyan strongman Muammar Gaddafi have bombarded the capital's airport on Friday, damaging a plane, Dubai-based Al Arabiya TV reported.
There was an exchange of gunfire between Gaddafi forces and rebel fighters near the airport, the channel said in a rolling banner headline.
Libyan rebels stormed Tripoli's Abu Salim district, one of the main holdouts of forces loyal to Gaddafi in the capital, after Nato air strikes on a building in the area on Thursday.-Reuters
More INTERNATIONAL NEWS Stories
- UK jets escort Pakistan plane, 2 arrested
- HSBC urges regulators to speed up reforms
- US sees jump in durable goods orders
- UK co-op bank halts loans to customers
- Jet Airways posts $89m quarterly loss
- Top US banks 'involved in mortgage abuse'
- UK police ponder conspiracy after soldier murder
- Truck strike may have caused US bridge collapse
- Icahn seeks up to $7bn for Dell bid
- London attacker British, of Nigerian origin