Saudi denies reports on Syria resolution
Riyadh, February 12, 2012
Saudi Arabia denied reports in Saudi media that it has formally presented a new resolution on Syria to the UN General Assembly, Saudi state news agency SPA cited an official at the foreign ministry as saying on Sunday.
"No provision of any draft resolution on behalf of the Kingdom has been presented to the General Assembly," he told SPA.
On Friday, King Abdullah said the Russian and Chinese veto of a UN resolution on Syria was an "unfavourable" move and diplomats said Saudi Arabia circulated a draft resolution backing an Arab peace plan among members of the Assembly. - Reuters
More INTERNATIONAL NEWS Stories
- EU slaps $2.3bn fine on top banks
- US lawmakers worried over Iran's enrichment ability
- HK, Malaysia eye closer Islamic finance ties
- Hezbollah blames Israel for commander killing
- EPA fracking study could hurt energy boom
- Arafat didn't die of poisoning, says French report
- Ukraine protesters threaten tighter blockade
- Investigator close to naming Arafat death suspects
- StanChart eyes London yuan market share
- Oil hits 10-week high on strong China, US data