Syrian forces shell Hama on deadline day
Damascus, April 10, 2012
Syrian tanks shelled Hama city in the early hours of Tuesday, an activist said, and tanks continued to patrol the streets on the day President Bashar al-Assad has agreed to start withdrawing forces from urban areas.
"At 2 a m we heard two shells fall and the sound of tanks moving around the streets," said Manhal Abu Bakr, an activist and citizen journalist. "There is no gunfire now. They shell us at night so that it is hard to film," he said over Skype.
Internet video footage, which Abu Bakr said was filmed in Hama overnight, showed nighttime explosions in a built-up area.
In Douma, a suburb of the capital Damascus, another activist said tanks were still in the streets on Tuesday morning. - Reuters
More INTERNATIONAL NEWS Stories
- EU scraps duty on jet fuel imports
- Tech giants call for more controls on surveillance
- Thai PM dissolves parliament, calls snap polls
- Arabs seek nuclear arms-free Middle East
- Anti-Russia protests rage in Ukraine, Stalin statue felled
- SAfricans remember Mandela with praise, prayers
- UN inspectors visit key Iran nuke site
- Ice storm causes blackouts, flight delays in US
- Ruling Congress party punished in India polls
- US proposes annual GCC defence summit