Indonesia quake felt in India, tsunami warning
Chennai, April 11, 2012
India issued a tsunami warning for its eastern coast on Wednesday after a 8.9 magnitude quake in Indonesia shook major Indian cities, causing panic and sending people fleeing onto the streets.
India's tsunami warning center said waves measuring up to 6 metres were expected along parts of its eastern coast, which was heavily hit by the 2004 tsunami. Smaller waves were expected to hit the remote Andaman and Nicobar islands.
Indonesia's Geophysical Agency reported earlier an earthquake measuring 8.9 on Richter scale off Aceh. An Indian Ocean-wide tsunami warning has been issued. - Reuters
More INTERNATIONAL NEWS Stories
- Gold extends losses on firm dollar
- Qatar fund to invest $500m in Russia's VTB
- Israel fires back at Syria after troops targeted
- Monster tornado kills 51 in Oklahoma town
- Over 60 killed in Iraq car bombings
- Netanyahu hints at further strikes in Syria
- $590m jackpot winning ticket sold in Florida
- Texas joins flood of states suing BP
- Switzerland close to deal in US tax dispute
- Israel warns against Russia arms supply to Syria