Thousands of UK troops to leave Afghanistan
London, October 14, 2012
British Defence Secretary Philip Hammond said on Sunday he planned to withdraw thousands of British troops from Afghanistan next year.
"I would expect it will be significant, which means thousands, not hundreds, but I would not expect it to be the majority," Hammond told the BBC, after being asked about troop withdrawals next year.
Britain is withdrawing some 500 of its soldiers from Afghanistan this year, leaving around 9,000. All British combat troops are set to be repatriated by the end of 2014. - Reuters
More INTERNATIONAL NEWS Stories
- Gulf stocks surge as Fed tapering adds fuel to fire
- Swiss extend freeze on Arab Spring assets
- Court ruling paves way for Mubarak aide's return
- 500 killed as fighting intensifies in South Sudan
- Secret detention part of Syria 'terror campaign,' says UN
- Gold hits 6-month low after Fed stimulus trim
- One million Gazans in need of food aid says UN
- US Senate passes crucial budget deal
- Astra eyes $4.1bn Bristol diabetes venture stake
- EU agrees on blueprint to close failing banks