Slim with $77bn tops Bloomberg richest list
New York, November 4, 2012
America Movil SAB chairman emeritus Carlos Slim tops the inaugural list of the world’s richest people prepared by Bloomberg, with a net worth of $77.5 billion.
While Microsoft's Bill Gates took the second position with a net worth of $64.4 billion, Amancio Ortega of Spain, who racked up billions faster than every one else, took the thrid position on the list with a net worth of $53.6 billion.
Ortega, the 76-year-old founder of Inditex SA, the world’s largest clothing retailer, which is known for its more than 1,600 trendy Zara stores, made more than $18 billion from the start of the year through October 5 -- or about $66 million a day. That windfall was more than enough for the Spanish tycoon to eclipse Warren Buffett -- who’s now No 4, with $48.4 billion, said Bloomberg.
Prince Alwaleed bin Talal of Saudi Arabia was the richest in the Middle East region with a net worth of $22.9 billion. His wealth increased $5.6 billion (32 per cent) year to date, according to the report.
Nine of the world’s 25 wealthiest people are retail moguls. Among them are Ikea founder Ingvar Kamprad, four members of the Walton family that controls Wal-Mart and Stefan Persson, the largest shareholder in Swedish clothing giant Hennes & Mauritz AB.
Bloomberg News unmasked more than 30 hidden billionaires this year. Brazil’s Dirce Navarro de Camargo inherited her late husband’s industrial conglomerate, Camargo Correa SA, in 1994. Elaine Tettemer Marshall controls 15 percent of Koch Industries Inc., the second-largest closely held company in the US. With fortunes of about $12 billion each, both women remain billions shy of Gina Rinehart, the richest woman in the Asia-Pacific region. She's squabbling with her children over the family’s $19.1 billion minerals empire, the report said.
Bloomberg also revealed Zong Qinghou as mainland China’s richest man, who had a net worth of $20.1 billion. The once poor soda seller today commands the Hangzhou Wahaha Group Co. beverage empire.
The top 20 richest as per the Bloomberg index
1. Carlos Slim (Mexico)- net worth: $77.5 billion
2. Bill Gates (USA) - $64.4 billion
3. Amancio Ortega
(Spain) - $53.6 billion
4. Warren Buffett (USA) - $48.4 billion
5. Ingvar Kamprad (Sweden) - $41.8 billion
6. Charles Koch (USA) - $38.6 billion
7. David Koch (USA) - $38.6 billion
8. Larry Ellison (USA) - $37.2 billion
9. Christy Walton (USA) - $30.5 billion
10. Jim Walton (USA) - $29.3 billion
11. Rob Walton (USA) -$28.7 billion
12. Alice Walton (USA) - $28.2 billion
13. Li Ka-shing (Hong Kong) -$27.0 billion
14. Mukesh Ambani (India) - $26.0 billion
15. Liliane Bettencourt (France) - $24.7 billion
16. Stefan Persson (Sewden) -$24.7 billion
17. Jeff Bezos (USA) - $24.2 billion
18. Bernard Arnault (France) - $24.1 billion
19. Larry Page (USA) - $23.0 billion
20. Prince Alwaleed bin Talal (Saudi Arabia) - $22.9 billion