Romney concedes election to Obama
Washington, November 7, 2012
Republican Mitt Romney conceded the US presidential election to President Barack Obama early on Wednesday morning after a bitterly fought battle.
"This is a time of great challenges for America and I pray that the president will be successful in guiding our nation," Romney told supporters after calling Obama to congratulate him.
Obama defeated Romney in a series of key swing states, despite the weak economic recovery and stubbornly high unemployment that dogged his campaign.
Television networks called the election late on Tuesday, but the Romney campaign waited more than an hour to agree on the results in Ohio. - Reuters
More INTERNATIONAL NEWS Stories
- Hezbollah blames Israel for commander killing
- EPA fracking study could hurt energy boom
- Arafat didn't die of poisoning, says French report
- Ukraine protesters threaten tighter blockade
- Investigator close to naming Arafat death suspects
- StanChart eyes London yuan market share
- Oil hits 10-week high on strong China, US data
- Thai police step aside, move to defuse protests
- Wipro buys US mortgage firm for $75m
- Over 126,000 killed in Syria violence