A Turkish soldier speaks with Syrian refugees who
are trying to cross the border fence in Ras al-Ain.
Syria opposition to make Cairo its HQ
Cairo, November 19, 2012
Syria's new opposition coalition has decided to make Egypt its headquarters, the president of the body was quoted as saying by Egypt's official news agency on Monday.
Mouaz Alkhatib, head of the Syrian National Coalition for Opposition and Revolutionary Forces, was speaking after a meeting with Egyptian Foreign Minister Mohamed Amr in Cairo.
"There is a decision by the coalition to make Egypt its main headquarters," the Mena news agency quoted him as saying.
A short statement released by the Egyptian Foreign Ministry after the meeting made no reference to whether the new Syrian opposition body would move to Cairo.
"The minister expressed Egypt's readiness to offer all means of assistance to the Syrian coalition in the coming period," it said. - Reuters
More INTERNATIONAL NEWS Stories
- World shares tumble on Fed jitters
- EU industrial output falls sharply in Oct
- Kuwait spy chief worried by Iraq turmoil
- US lawmakers push to introduce new Iran bill
- Yemen close to $550m IMF loan deal
- 3 more Swiss banks join US tax deal
- US, Britain suspend aid to Northern Syria
- Iran to set date for IAEA visit to uranium mine
- Gulf leaders urged to launch Syria aid fund
- Iran, six powers meet on steps to carry out nuclear deal