Greek PM eyes Qatar investments
Doha, November 21, 2012
Greek Prime Minister Antonis Samaras will be visiting Qatar next week to discuss investment opportunities inside Greece, a Greek embassy spokesman in Doha said.
Samaras will meet Qatar's Emir and prime minister as well as top officials from Qatar's sovereign wealth fund to discuss investment possibilities in the struggling Mediterranean economy, including equity participation in Greek state-owned companies, he stated on Tuesday.
"They will definitely discuss Qatari investment in Greece. This is the main goal of the trip. Equity participation in state companies that are being privatised, the state lottery and Depa, the public natural gas company, this is what Greece will present to the prime minister," he said.
The chief executives of Greece's two largest banks, National Bank of Greece and Alpha Bank, are also accompanying the delegation, he said. Other topics to be discussed include how Greek companies can participate in infrastructure projects in Qatar, he added.-Reuters
More INTERNATIONAL NEWS Stories
- 90 hurt as ceiling collapses at London theatre
- Gulf stocks surge as Fed tapering adds fuel to fire
- Swiss extend freeze on Arab Spring assets
- Court ruling paves way for Mubarak aide's return
- 500 killed as fighting intensifies in South Sudan
- Secret detention part of Syria 'terror campaign,' says UN
- Gold hits 6-month low after Fed stimulus trim
- One million Gazans in need of food aid says UN
- US Senate passes crucial budget deal
- Astra eyes $4.1bn Bristol diabetes venture stake