Libya to secure oil ports after disruptions
Tripoli, January 10, 2013
Libya's oil ministry has reached agreement with the country's army chief and defence and interior ministries to secure exporting terminals, Oil Minister Abdelbari Al-Arusi said, after several protests have caused shipping disruptions.
Oil installations have become a focal point of protests in Opec member Libya in the wake of July polls that ushered in the North African country's first elected authorities.
The administration is still struggling to impose order on a vast and divided country awash with arms and militias after the overthrow of Muammar Gaddafi in late 2011.
"We have agreed with the defence minister, chief of staff and interior minister to secure the oil ports and the army has sent a force to the port (of Zueitina)," Arusi told Reuters.
He said oil exports from the eastern Zueitina terminal, should resume in coming days after the port was closed down because of protests that began last month.
"The technicians in Zueitina need two days to empty the pipes from the water flowing in them when the oil stopped pumping, at which time, when the government provides us with the security they have promised us, oil pumping and exports will resume," he said.
No oil has been shipped out of Zueitina, which exports around 60,000-70,000 barrels per day, since the start of January due to local protests that began in December.
A senior Libyan oil source said protesters' threats had affected mainly the shipping of oil rather than gas, because there had been a safe shutdown of the oilfields pumping to the terminal, some 800 km east of the capital Tripoli.
The source added that negotiations with the protesters were still continuing.
In December, protesters calling for jobs and other social demands forced their way into the port's management offices and ordered the port director to quit working and shut down operations.
The chairman of Zueitina Oil Company, which works alongside US firm Occidental Petroleum Corporation, later said they were persuaded to leave by local officials but did not have details on whether an actual agreement was reached.
Separately, bad weather prevented ships from entering Es Sider port on Wednesday, said a source at the Waha Oil Company which operates the eastern terminal, but normal activity was expected to resume on Thursday. – Reuters
More INTERNATIONAL NEWS Stories
- China premier warns on economic slowdown
- Gunmen fire on army bus in Cairo, 1 killed
- Lost jet 'may have flown for four hours'
- Gold up as Ukraine, China prompt safe-haven bids
- Search finds no sign of lost plane at suspect spot
- Missing jet may have strayed to Andaman
- Gold hits near 6-month high
- 2 killed in Manhattan building blast
- Cameron pushes for travel bans on Russian MPs
- Indian coastguards join Malaysia jet search
- Confusion as search for lost jet spreads
- Military denies lost plane's flight to Malacca
- Investors monitoring Pimco after internal strife
- N Korea tanker ‘leaves Libya rebel port carrying oil’
- Malaysia plane incident not terror related: Interpol
- Crimea closes air space to commercial flights
- Missing Malaysian plane last seen At Malacca Strait
- Stolen passport holder on missing plane is Iranian
- China deploys 10 satellites to search for Malaysia jet
- Libya says halts tanker outside port; rebels deny it
- Libya orders military force to 'liberate' ports
- Big bananas: Chiquita, Fyffes merge
- Radar sweeps, dozens of aircraft, but no sign of plane
- N Korea tanker loads oil at Libya rebel port
- Gold drops as US growth optimism weighs
- Merkel raps Putin; Russia tightens grip on Crimea
- World 'at sea' over missing Malaysian jetliner
- Passports requiring probe were on Malaysia flight
- 40 killed in Yemen as Houthi fighters near capital
- Vietnam finds object in sea; search on