Pakistan court orders arrest of prime minister
Islamabad, January 15, 2013
Pakistan's Supreme Court has ordered the arrest of the prime minister in connection with a corruption case linked to power projects, television channels reported.
The order to arrest Raja Pervez Ashraf will plunge the country into fresh political turmoil.
The surprise move came as a populist cleric, who is believed to be backed by the military, demanded the resignation of the government in protests attended by thousands of followers in the heart of the capital Islamabad. - Reuters
More INTERNATIONAL NEWS Stories
- Difficult to have Iran at Syria talks, says US official
- Libya must use force to seize oil ports
- US military aircraft hit in Sudan
- Egypt sends Mursi to trial in third case
- Turkish ministers' sons held in graft probe
- US Senate to vote on new Iran sanctions bill
- US caution over Syria talks prompts opposition doubts
- Hezbollah leader warns Israel of revenge
- EU officials slam S&P after ratings downgrade
- India protests intensify in US diplomat row