Pakistan court orders arrest of prime minister
Islamabad, January 15, 2013
Pakistan's Supreme Court has ordered the arrest of the prime minister in connection with a corruption case linked to power projects, television channels reported.
The order to arrest Raja Pervez Ashraf will plunge the country into fresh political turmoil.
The surprise move came as a populist cleric, who is believed to be backed by the military, demanded the resignation of the government in protests attended by thousands of followers in the heart of the capital Islamabad. - Reuters
More INTERNATIONAL NEWS Stories
- Rockets hit south Beirut after Hezbollah vow
- UK jets escort Pakistan plane, 2 arrested
- HSBC urges regulators to speed up reforms
- US sees jump in durable goods orders
- UK co-op bank halts loans to customers
- Jet Airways posts $89m quarterly loss
- Top US banks 'involved in mortgage abuse'
- UK police ponder conspiracy after soldier murder
- Truck strike may have caused US bridge collapse
- Icahn seeks up to $7bn for Dell bid