IOC says cut wrestling from 2020 Olympics
Lausanne, February 12, 2013
Wrestling should be removed from the 2020 Olympic Games, the International Olympic Committee's executive board recommended on Tuesday as it looks to revamp the games sports programme.
Wrestling, contested in the first modern Olympics in 1896, will join a list of seven other candidate sports battling for one spot on the programme. It is very unlikely; however, that wrestling will get back in.
The IOC session in Buenos Aires in September will still need to ratify the decision. – Reuters
More INTERNATIONAL NEWS Stories
- Obama warns Sudan after US military jet hit
- Somali parliament approves new PM
- Ice storms, rain hinder holiday travel across US
- Difficult to have Iran at Syria talks, says US official
- Libya must use force to seize oil ports
- US military aircraft hit in Sudan
- Egypt sends Mursi to trial in third case
- Turkish ministers' sons held in graft probe
- US Senate to vote on new Iran sanctions bill
- US caution over Syria talks prompts opposition doubts