Bahrain police find bomb on Saudi causeway
Manama, February 16, 2013
Bahrain police found a bomb planted on a causeway linking the island to Saudi Arabia, and four officers were shot and wounded late on Friday, officials said.
The 2 kg bomb, discovered near a mosque on the Bahraini side of the route used by thousands of people every day, was safely defused after a cleaner alerted the police, said the kingdom's Information Authority.
"The operations room was alerted at 4pm on Thursday after a cleaner got suspicious of the strange object," Public Security chief Major-General Tariq Al Hassan said.
Explosive experts rushed to the scene and defused the bomb which contained a highly explosive substance and other solid materials.
The Public Prosecution has launched an inquiry to track down the perpetrators and bring them to justice, he said.
Maj-Gen Al Hassan called upon citizens and residents not to tamper with strange objects and report any suspicious case on hotline 999.
Also four officers were hit by birdshot pellets in the Shi'ite village of Karzakan late on Friday, the authority added, quoting Al-Hassan.-Reuters
More INTERNATIONAL NEWS Stories
- US senate backs arming Syrian rebels
- Home Depot net income hits $1.2bn
- EU regulators to cap bankers' bonuses
- Gold extends losses on firm dollar
- Qatar fund to invest $500m in Russia's VTB
- Israel fires back at Syria after troops targeted
- Monster tornado kills 51 in Oklahoma town
- Over 60 killed in Iraq car bombings
- Netanyahu hints at further strikes in Syria
- $590m jackpot winning ticket sold in Florida