Bahrain police find bomb on Saudi causeway
Manama, February 16, 2013
Bahrain police found a bomb planted on a causeway linking the island to Saudi Arabia, and four officers were shot and wounded late on Friday, officials said.
The 2 kg bomb, discovered near a mosque on the Bahraini side of the route used by thousands of people every day, was safely defused after a cleaner alerted the police, said the kingdom's Information Authority.
"The operations room was alerted at 4pm on Thursday after a cleaner got suspicious of the strange object," Public Security chief Major-General Tariq Al Hassan said.
Explosive experts rushed to the scene and defused the bomb which contained a highly explosive substance and other solid materials.
The Public Prosecution has launched an inquiry to track down the perpetrators and bring them to justice, he said.
Maj-Gen Al Hassan called upon citizens and residents not to tamper with strange objects and report any suspicious case on hotline 999.
Also four officers were hit by birdshot pellets in the Shi'ite village of Karzakan late on Friday, the authority added, quoting Al-Hassan.-Reuters
More INTERNATIONAL NEWS Stories
- Obama orders sanctions over Russian moves
- Crimea parliament votes to join Russia
- Arab League to be revamped
- 'Upskirting' is legal: Massachusetts court
- Singapore probes 'unnatural' death of bitcoin trader
- Onus on world powers for Syria war crimes: UN
- US, Russia set for talks on Ukraine crisis
- Brent oil drops below $109
- Services outshine manufacturing, pushing up jobs
- Bitcoin bank shut down after hacker attack
- India to kick off world's biggest poll on April 7
- China signals focus on reforms
- Hundreds ready for bitcoin exchange class action
- Space taxi, Jupiter mission in Obama budget
- Putin: Use of force last resort in Ukraine
- Powers to boost Lebanese military, economy
- Egypt bans Hamas activities in Egypt
- Putin ends army exercise, markets rally
- Russia has violated international law: Obama
- Russian markets hit as Putin tightens grip on Crimea
- Iran nuclear deal 'being implemented as planned'
- Global factory growth stumbles as demand falters
- Obama warns of 'fallout' for Israel if peace effort fails
- Ukraine mobilises after Putin's 'declaration of war'
- Oil jumps $2 over Ukraine tension
- US threatens to isolate Russia for Ukraine aggression
- Ukraine mobilises for war, calls up reserves
- Berkshire net profit surges 31pc
- China blames militants for deadly station attack
- Beginning of war? Putin ready to invade Ukraine