5 US soldiers killed in Afghan bomb attack
Kabul, May 4, 2013
Five US soldiers were killed by a bomb in the southern Afghanistan province of Kandahar on Saturday, a US authorities said, capping off one of the bloodiest weeks for international forces this year.
The attack underscored the dangers faced by the Nato-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF), even as they hand over much of the fighting to the Afghans before a planned departure next year.
Nineteen US personnel have been killed in the last week in three air crashes and Saturday's bombing. Three British soldiers were also killed on Tuesday by a roadside bomb in the southern province of Helmand.
ISAF said on its website that the five soldiers were killed by an improvised explosive device in southern Afghanistan. A US forces spokesman in the region and a Pentagon official said the five dead were US troops.
Kandahar authorities said the soldiers' vehicle struck an IED in Maiwand district, which borders Helmand province to the west and is considered one of the most volatile of Kandahar's districts.
Last month, nine Afghan men working for a mine clearance organization were taken captive by Taliban fighters there, though they were later released.-Reuters
More INTERNATIONAL NEWS Stories
- White House warns against new Iran sanctions
- 90 hurt as ceiling collapses at London theatre
- Gulf stocks surge as Fed tapering adds fuel to fire
- Swiss extend freeze on Arab Spring assets
- Court ruling paves way for Mubarak aide's return
- 500 killed as fighting intensifies in South Sudan
- Secret detention part of Syria 'terror campaign,' says UN
- Gold hits 6-month low after Fed stimulus trim
- One million Gazans in need of food aid says UN
- US Senate passes crucial budget deal