Thousands of Hezbollah fighters in Syria: Kerry
Amman, May 22, 2013
US Secretary of State John Kerry said on Wednesday that there were several thousand fighters from the Lebanese group Hezbollah taking part in Syria's conflict, with Iranian support.
He told a news conference in the Jordanian capital Amman that if Syrian President Bashar Al-Assad was not prepared to discuss a political solution to end Syria's civil war, the US and others would consider increasing support for his opponents.
Commenting on recent offensives by Assad's forces, Kerry said they had made gains on the ground in recent days but said he regarded those gains as "very temporary". - Reuters
More INTERNATIONAL NEWS Stories
- White House warns against new Iran sanctions
- 90 hurt as ceiling collapses at London theatre
- Gulf stocks surge as Fed tapering adds fuel to fire
- Swiss extend freeze on Arab Spring assets
- Court ruling paves way for Mubarak aide's return
- 500 killed as fighting intensifies in South Sudan
- Secret detention part of Syria 'terror campaign,' says UN
- Gold hits 6-month low after Fed stimulus trim
- One million Gazans in need of food aid says UN
- US Senate passes crucial budget deal