Rockets fired from Lebanon hit northern Israel
Beirut, December 29, 2013
Two rockets fired from Lebanon struck northern Israel on Sunday, causing no injuries or damage, and Israel's military responded with artillery fire across the border, officials said.
The Lebanese rockets landed near the town of Kiryat Shmona, the military said in a statement, adding that it "responded with artillery fire towards the source of the launch".
A Reuters witness in the Lebanon frontier area said more than 20 Israeli shells hit near two southern border towns.
The Israeli-Lebanese border has been largely quiet since Israel and the Lebanese Hezbollah militia fought a 34-day war in 2006.
But tension spiked this month when a Lebanese army sniper killed an Israeli soldier across the border, after which a U.N. peacekeeping force met both sides to restore calm.-Reuters
More INTERNATIONAL NEWS Stories
- Malaysia formally asks for international help
- MASSACRE: Gunmen kill 100 in central Nigeria
- Tense Crimea votes on Russia referendum
- Libyan port rebels say ready for talks
- India puts on hold search for missing plane
- Alibaba plans US listing in third-quarter
- Lost airliner was diverted deliberately: Malaysian PM
- Saudi demands Qatar shut down Al Jazeera
- Labour stalwart Benn dies aged 88
- Bahrain boat show postponed over development work
- Korean steel maker Posco set for revamp
- Harsh winter hits US consumer sentiment
- Sanctions set as Russia presses on with Crimea takeover
- India inflation at nine-month low
- Missing plane: It's deliberate act says Malaysia PM
- Lost plane 'flown deliberately toward Andamans'
- Gold hits fresh six-month highs
- Iran not open for business, affirms Kerry
- Barclays 'to cut thousands of jobs'
- Jet sent 'pings' after going missing
- China premier warns on economic slowdown
- Gunmen fire on army bus in Cairo, 1 killed
- Lost jet 'may have flown for four hours'
- Gold up as Ukraine, China prompt safe-haven bids
- Search finds no sign of lost plane at suspect spot
- Missing jet may have strayed to Andaman
- Gold hits near 6-month high
- 2 killed in Manhattan building blast
- Cameron pushes for travel bans on Russian MPs
- Indian coastguards join Malaysia jet search