Indian minister's wife found dead after twitter row
New Delhi, January 18, 2014
Sunanda Tharoor, wife of Congress minister Shashi Tharoor, was found dead in a New Delhi hotel room on Friday, police said, days after she was involved in a row with a Pakistani woman journalist over Twitter.
It was not immediately clear how Sunanda, had died, Delhi police spokesman Rajan Bhagat said.
"She was lying in bed. There were no signs of any foul play or any struggle. She had no sign of poisoning or anything," the minister's personal assistant Abhinav Kumar told reporters gathered outside the hotel.
The death came after Sunanda, 52, was embroiled in a spat with a Pakistan-based journalist, Mehr Tarar, whom she accused of stalking her husband in a series of Twitter posts.
Tarar denied she was having an affair with the junior minister for human resource development and hit back at Sunanda for making what she said were wild allegations.
On Thursday, the couple issued a statement saying they were distressed by the controversy caused by unauthorised use of their Twitter accounts. They said they were happily married and intended to stay that way.
Tharoor, a former U.N. diplomat, married Sunanda in 2010. The same year he had to resign from his first ministerial job over allegations of wrongdoing in bidding for a cricket team in the Indian Premier League.-Reuters
More INTERNATIONAL NEWS Stories
- Investors monitoring Pimco after internal strife
- N Korea tanker ‘leaves Libya rebel port carrying oil’
- Malaysia plane incident not terror related: Interpol
- Crimea closes air space to commercial flights
- Missing Malaysian plane last seen At Malacca Strait
- Stolen passport holder on missing plane is Iranian
- China deploys 10 satellites to search for Malaysia jet
- Libya says halts tanker outside port; rebels deny it
- Libya orders military force to 'liberate' ports
- Big bananas: Chiquita, Fyffes merge
- Radar sweeps, dozens of aircraft, but no sign of plane
- N Korea tanker loads oil at Libya rebel port
- Gold drops as US growth optimism weighs
- Merkel raps Putin; Russia tightens grip on Crimea
- World 'at sea' over missing Malaysian jetliner
- Passports requiring probe were on Malaysia flight
- 40 killed in Yemen as Houthi fighters near capital
- Vietnam finds object in sea; search on
- $5bn poll spend to boost India economy
- Libya authorises use of force against Korean tanker
- Ukraine PM says he will go to US to discuss crisis
- Syrian journalist killed covering fighting
- Malaysian jet may have turned back before vanishing
- No sign of missing plane; Malaysia probes false passports
- Two Europeans not on board 'missing' Malaysian jet
- China draws red line on North Korea
- Saudi sentences three to death for 2003 bombing
- First bitcoin machine opens in UK
- US sanctions will boomerang, warns Russia
- China plans $50bn bank to fund projects