BREAKTHROUGH? World awaits Malaysia PM's statement
Kuala Lumpur, March 24, 2014
Indicating a major breakthrough in the search for the missing Malaysia Airlines jetliner, the Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak said he will hold a press conference at 10.00 pm (1400 GMT) on new developments. Also, officials will address relatives of the missing MH370 passengers in Beijing.
Meanwhile, Skynews reported that arrangements are being made to fly the familes of MH370 passengers to Australia.
The developments follow an announcement that an Australian navy ship was close to finding possible debris.
Australia's HMAS Success should reach two objects spotted by Australian military aircraft by Tuesday morning at the latest, Malaysia's government said, offering the first chance of picking up suspected debris from the plane.
So far, ships in the international search effort have been unable to locate several "suspicious" objects spotted by satellites in grainy images or by fast-flying aircraft over a vast search area in the remote southern Indian Ocean.
"HMAS Success is on scene and is attempting to locate and recover these objects," Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott, who called his Malaysia counterpart Najib Razak to inform him of the sighting, said in a statement to parliament.