Wednesday 22 November 2017
 
»
 
»
Story

Over 70 killed in Afghan twin mosque bombing

KABUL, October 21, 2017

More than 70 people have been killed in twin suicide bombings on mosques in Afghanistan, government officials said.

In Kabul, a suicide bomber killed at least 39 people and injured 45 more when he detonated his explosives among some 100 worshippers in a Shia mosque in the western part of the capital, reported The Guardian citing the interior ministry. Some of the victims were reportedly shot after the blast on Friday evening.

In central Ghor province, a suicide bomber killed 33 worshippers in a Sunni mosque, purportedly targeting a local commander from the anti-Taliban Jamiat party, said police spokesman Mohammad Iqbal Nizami.

There was no immediate claim of responsibility for either attack.

Abdulhai Khatebi, Ghor provincial spokesman, said the attacker detonated his suicide vest during worship services in the late afternoon. The mosque is in the province's Doleena district.

The US State Department condemned the attacks in a statement Friday, as well as others that took place in Afghanistan earlier in the week, reported the CNN.

"In the face of these senseless and cowardly acts, our commitment to Afghanistan is unwavering," said Heather Nauert, spokeswoman for the State Department.

"The US stands with the government and people of Afghanistan and will continue to support their efforts to achieve peace and security for their country," sated Nauert.

The two attacks are the latest in the country, where Afghan and coalition forces have been squaring off for years with Islamic militants, including the Taliban and ISIS -- both Sunni movements, said the CNN report.

The violence comes a day after Taliban militants stormed a base in Kandahar, in the south, and killed dozens of Afghan troops, it added.




Tags: Afghanistan | Kabul | killed | Mosque bombing |

More INTERNATIONAL NEWS Stories

calendarCalendar of Events

Ads