Bahrain telecom revenues up 74pc
Manama, November 22, 2007
Bahrain has one of the fastest growing telecom markets in the world, according to the country's telecom regulator.
The sector saw revenues rocket by 74 per cent between 2003 and last year, creating 28 per cent more jobs over the three-year period, according to Telecommunications Regulatory Authority (TRA) statistics quoted by Gulf Daily News.
From a base of just under £194 million in 2003, the industry generated over £342 million in 2006, while employment figures rose from 1,808 in 2003 to 2,322 in the first quarter of 2007.
More than half of Bahraini households now have access to the Internet, with two thirds holding fixed telephone lines.
The TRA statistics also found that 99 per cent of households include at least one person with mobile phone access and individual mobile subscriptions exceeded 800,000 last year, more than double the 300,000 subscriptions four years previously.
'Despite this success, the telecommunications market in this country still has vast growth potential and this is being recognised by international brands such as Orange and Zain who are coming to Bahrain to do business,' TRA general director Alan Horne was quoted as saying.
'We are continuing efforts to expand the sector for the economic and social benefit of our people and greatly welcome the opportunity to work in partnership with both new and existing solutions providers.' – TradeArabia News Service
More IT & Telecommunications Stories
- Du joins new global cable consortium
- Kuwait moves to create telecoms watchdog
- Batelco backs Royal Fund for Martyrs
- Egypt's Global Telecom posts $749m Q4 loss
- Red Hat launches open source BPM suite
- Batelco announces new board
- Batelco offers improved broadband
- You don't own phone numbers, warns TRA
- Tech giants back top Qatar ICT event
- Du to provide wifi access in public areas
- Zain finalises $800m, five-year loan facility
- Ooredoo Q4 net profit falls 36pc to $140m
- Mobily, Etisalat team up for LTE roaming
- Batelco approves $84m dividends for 2013
- Etisalat Q4 profit rises 70pc to $394m
- Kenya telecom firm to join Etisalat SmartHub
- Aruba appoints new sales director
- Du enters $1.17 billion financing deals
- VIVA extends 4G LTE offer
- Batelco to update students with latest technologies
- Etisalat SmartHub seals IPX agreement
- Etisalat picks Alcatel for LTE network expansion
- Boeing, QCRI host machine learning forum
- Mobily provides 4G LTE international roaming
- Viva Kuwait, Huawei to set up innovation centre
- Etisalat, Airtel deal to boost network services
- Batelco offers 4G LTE backup solution
- Arbor unveils ‘Peakflow’ solution
- Etisalat launches enterprise mobility services
- STC launches advanced 4G network