APC unveils online efficiency tool
Dubai, November 27, 2007
APC, a global leader in integrated critical power and cooling services, has unveiled its new efficiency quotient online tool to help IT professionals worldwide determine the efficiency levels of their data center.
APC’s easy-to-use efficiency quotient tool provides a fact-based rating of an existing data center’s current efficiency levels; recommended next steps for improvement; access to related white papers, tools and information; and more information on the key elements of an efficient enterprise.
This is the first in a series of efficiency quotient tools that APC will introduce in the months ahead, said an official spokesman.
Gartner Research predicts that by 2008, 50 per cent of today’s data centers will have insufficient power and cooling capacity to meet the demands of high density equipment. In fact many IT professionals today already grapple with insufficient power and cooling capabilities in their data centers and the problem is only expected to grow more challenging as the need for power has increased due to the adoption rate of more powerful blade server technology.
Once an IT professional completes the 18-question survey (requiring only multiple-choice or yes/no responses), the online measurement tool provides an audit of current efficiency and identifies any gaps that need attention to improve efficiency.
The audit provides results in three categories including the data centre infrastructure efficiency (0 – 100 per cent), the IT efficiency effectiveness on a relative scale of zero to five, and the data centre’s efficiency maturity level also on a relative scale of zero to five.
The data centre infrastructure efficiency is a quantitative metric based on the methodology described in APC’s White Paper #113, ‘Electrical Efficiency Modeling for Data Centers.’
In addition, an overall efficiency score, on a scale of zero to five, lets the user know their overall performance level.
“APC’s new data center efficiency quotient tool offers our customers and others a quick way to benchmark themselves in both a qualitative and quantitative way on the energy efficiency of their data center,” said vice-president of APC’s Data Center Science Centre Carl Cottuli.
“In addition to providing an overall efficiency score, the measurement tool offers peer results so companies can compare themselves to other companies in their industry. With a data center efficiency quotient score, user’s now have a fundamental understanding of where they are today, and what those next steps are toward becoming an efficient enterprise,” Cottuli added.
Based on the survey results, the tool provides recommended next steps to immediately improve a user’s efficiency. While there are other variables that effect data center infrastructure efficiency, such as geographical location, this tool is meant to provide a relative score from which a user can begin to benchmark themselves against their peers. – TradeArabia News Service
More IT & Telecommunications Stories
- Du offers free smarphones on tablet purchase
- Batelco launches double credit promotion
- Cyber threats focus of Bahrain security talks
- Bahrain tech expo to honour innovators
- Scope ME named distributor for InfoWatch
- Nawras quadruples 3G+ mobile services
- Menatelecom expands bill paying network
- Du joins new global cable consortium
- Kuwait moves to create telecoms watchdog
- Batelco backs Royal Fund for Martyrs
- Egypt's Global Telecom posts $749m Q4 loss
- Red Hat launches open source BPM suite
- Batelco announces new board
- Batelco offers improved broadband
- You don't own phone numbers, warns TRA
- Tech giants back top Qatar ICT event
- Du to provide wifi access in public areas
- Zain finalises $800m, five-year loan facility
- Ooredoo Q4 net profit falls 36pc to $140m
- Mobily, Etisalat team up for LTE roaming
- Batelco approves $84m dividends for 2013
- Etisalat Q4 profit rises 70pc to $394m
- Kenya telecom firm to join Etisalat SmartHub
- Aruba appoints new sales director
- Du enters $1.17 billion financing deals
- VIVA extends 4G LTE offer
- Batelco to update students with latest technologies
- Etisalat SmartHub seals IPX agreement
- Etisalat picks Alcatel for LTE network expansion
- Boeing, QCRI host machine learning forum