Tuesday 30 September 2014
 
»
 
»
Story

Bahrain to invite 3rd mobile licence bids in Aug

Manama, May 22, 2008

Bahrain plans to issue invitations to tender for the country's third mobile licence by mid-August and receive submissions by November, the island's telecoms watchdog said.

A winner is due to be announced in early December, the Telecommunications Regulatory Authority (TRA) said in a statement.

Six firms have expressed an interest in becoming the third mobile network operator in Bahrain, an island of about 1.05 million people.

The kingdom has been on a drive to boost competition and bring down prices. The third mobile operator would compete with Bahrain Telecommunications Co and  Zain, a unit of Kuwait's Mobile Telecommunications Co.

The TRA said the six firms who have expressed an interest so far have been a mixture of local and international companies. - Reuters




Tags: Bahrain | TRA | mobile licence |

More IT & Telecommunications Stories

calendarCalendar of Events

Ads