Samena telecom council unveils key awards
Amman, September 23, 2008
Samena Telecommunications Council said its flagship summit - Convergence to Jordan 2008 - will introduce telecom awards, recognising key performances and achievements across eight different categories.
The summit will run on November 3 and 4 at Kempinski Hotel Ishtar in the Dead Sea.
The non-profit telecommunications association that aims to promote collaboration and knowledge-sharing across 25 countries said enormous opportunities exist in the relatively new but rapidly evolving Samena telecom industry, which is experiencing a revolution in terms of large FDI investment activities involving consolidation, merger and acquisition activities.
The summit will bring together key decision makers from the telecom industry including Dr Kamal Shehadi, chairman & CEO of TRA Lebanon; Dr Mohammed Al Wohaibi, CEO of Omantel; Mickael Ghossein, CEO Jordan Telecom Group; Alex Shalaby, CEO MobiNil; Ross Cormack, CEO Nawras and Marwan Zawayde, CEO and board director, Warid Telecom Pakistan, among others.
Thomas Wilson, executive managing director and founder, Samena Telecommunications Council said,'The phenomenal growth pace of the telecom industry is likely to ensure a number of challenges and hence through ‘Convergence to Jordan 2008’ we aim to share knowledge, industry innovations, insights and experiences between our regional members thereby promoting collaboration and facilitating expansion and better utilisation of telecommunications in the region.'
'The first ever ‘Samena Telecom Awards’ will also be announced in conjunction with the Convergence Summit to honour the leading telecom companies and representatives in recognition of their contribution to the Samena telecoms industry.'
The Samena Telecom Awards 2008 will include two main award categories that are further divided into eight sub-categories of awards:
1) Pioneer Award – The Pioneer Awards will be presented to the most trendsetting operator and regulator in the Samena region and includes awards for: 1. Most Innovative Operator; 2. Most Innovative Regulator.
2) Architect Award – The Architect Awards will be presented to those who have introduced and implemented new technologies enhancing performance: 1. Best Enterprise Solution Application; 2. Best Fixed Broadband Operator – Gpon, FTTx; 3. Best Fixed 3G, 4G, Wireless Broadband – WiMax, HSDPA, UMTS,LTE; 4. Best FMC 'Convergence' Operator; 5. Best Fixed Line Operator; 6.Best Mobile Line Operator.
'As the region’s premiere telecommunications umbrella organisation we strive to continuously provide expertise and guidance, promote telecom innovations and facilitate networking opportunities between our esteemed member companies to trigger dialogue and assist them in making informed decisions beneficial to the telecom environment,' said Wilson.
The tri-regional annual event will bring together key decision makers, industry experts and experienced professionals onto a common platform to discuss growth opportunities and future trends and also to address the various issues and challenges impeding the Samena telecom industry.
The business environment has been hugely impacted by the privatisation and de-regulation of markets thereby providing new service opportunities and with it new challenges.
The two-day event will include various discussion forums, networking sessions, technical workshops and presentations providing numerous opportunities to discuss business matters, growth prospects as well as prospective cross-learning.
One of the most anticipated events by the telecoms community, ‘Convergence to Jordan 2008’ will see participation by various telecom entities such as operators, regulators, vendors, manufacturers, entrepreneurs, educators, consultants and R&D experts and will be supported by Orange (previously Jordan Telecom group) and Teralight as the diamond
More IT & Telecommunications Stories
- Huawei sees 4G revenue double to $4bn in 2014
- Govts must design hitech apps to woo citizens
- UAE to launch mobile number portability Sunday
- Batelco offers automatic bill payment
- Etisalat unveils business solutions for SMEs
- Top honours for Nawras female engineer
- Bahrain TRA showcases services at expo
- Mobily to review IT trends
- Du offers special roaming rates
- Etisalat completes first phase of key IT project