Samena telecom council unveils key awards
Amman, September 23, 2008
Samena Telecommunications Council said its flagship summit - Convergence to Jordan 2008 - will introduce telecom awards, recognising key performances and achievements across eight different categories.
The summit will run on November 3 and 4 at Kempinski Hotel Ishtar in the Dead Sea.
The non-profit telecommunications association that aims to promote collaboration and knowledge-sharing across 25 countries said enormous opportunities exist in the relatively new but rapidly evolving Samena telecom industry, which is experiencing a revolution in terms of large FDI investment activities involving consolidation, merger and acquisition activities.
The summit will bring together key decision makers from the telecom industry including Dr Kamal Shehadi, chairman & CEO of TRA Lebanon; Dr Mohammed Al Wohaibi, CEO of Omantel; Mickael Ghossein, CEO Jordan Telecom Group; Alex Shalaby, CEO MobiNil; Ross Cormack, CEO Nawras and Marwan Zawayde, CEO and board director, Warid Telecom Pakistan, among others.
Thomas Wilson, executive managing director and founder, Samena Telecommunications Council said,'The phenomenal growth pace of the telecom industry is likely to ensure a number of challenges and hence through ‘Convergence to Jordan 2008’ we aim to share knowledge, industry innovations, insights and experiences between our regional members thereby promoting collaboration and facilitating expansion and better utilisation of telecommunications in the region.'
'The first ever ‘Samena Telecom Awards’ will also be announced in conjunction with the Convergence Summit to honour the leading telecom companies and representatives in recognition of their contribution to the Samena telecoms industry.'
The Samena Telecom Awards 2008 will include two main award categories that are further divided into eight sub-categories of awards:
1) Pioneer Award – The Pioneer Awards will be presented to the most trendsetting operator and regulator in the Samena region and includes awards for: 1. Most Innovative Operator; 2. Most Innovative Regulator.
2) Architect Award – The Architect Awards will be presented to those who have introduced and implemented new technologies enhancing performance: 1. Best Enterprise Solution Application; 2. Best Fixed Broadband Operator – Gpon, FTTx; 3. Best Fixed 3G, 4G, Wireless Broadband – WiMax, HSDPA, UMTS,LTE; 4. Best FMC 'Convergence' Operator; 5. Best Fixed Line Operator; 6.Best Mobile Line Operator.
'As the region’s premiere telecommunications umbrella organisation we strive to continuously provide expertise and guidance, promote telecom innovations and facilitate networking opportunities between our esteemed member companies to trigger dialogue and assist them in making informed decisions beneficial to the telecom environment,' said Wilson.
The tri-regional annual event will bring together key decision makers, industry experts and experienced professionals onto a common platform to discuss growth opportunities and future trends and also to address the various issues and challenges impeding the Samena telecom industry.
The business environment has been hugely impacted by the privatisation and de-regulation of markets thereby providing new service opportunities and with it new challenges.
The two-day event will include various discussion forums, networking sessions, technical workshops and presentations providing numerous opportunities to discuss business matters, growth prospects as well as prospective cross-learning.
One of the most anticipated events by the telecoms community, ‘Convergence to Jordan 2008’ will see participation by various telecom entities such as operators, regulators, vendors, manufacturers, entrepreneurs, educators, consultants and R&D experts and will be supported by Orange (previously Jordan Telecom group) and Teralight as the diamond
More IT & Telecommunications Stories
- Scope ME named distributor for InfoWatch
- Nawras quadruples 3G+ mobile services
- Menatelecom expands bill paying network
- Du joins new global cable consortium
- Kuwait moves to create telecoms watchdog
- Batelco backs Royal Fund for Martyrs
- Egypt's Global Telecom posts $749m Q4 loss
- Red Hat launches open source BPM suite
- Batelco announces new board
- Batelco offers improved broadband
- You don't own phone numbers, warns TRA
- Tech giants back top Qatar ICT event
- Du to provide wifi access in public areas
- Zain finalises $800m, five-year loan facility
- Ooredoo Q4 net profit falls 36pc to $140m
- Mobily, Etisalat team up for LTE roaming
- Batelco approves $84m dividends for 2013
- Etisalat Q4 profit rises 70pc to $394m
- Kenya telecom firm to join Etisalat SmartHub
- Aruba appoints new sales director
- Du enters $1.17 billion financing deals
- VIVA extends 4G LTE offer
- Batelco to update students with latest technologies
- Etisalat SmartHub seals IPX agreement
- Etisalat picks Alcatel for LTE network expansion
- Boeing, QCRI host machine learning forum
- Mobily provides 4G LTE international roaming
- Viva Kuwait, Huawei to set up innovation centre
- Etisalat, Airtel deal to boost network services
- Batelco offers 4G LTE backup solution