Telecom Egypt to stay ‘only fixed line provider’
New York, October 21, 2009
Fixed-line monopoly Telecom Egypt has said it would keep providing fixed line services for any new licenses tendered, while future private operators would only be allowed to supply data and video.
"Maybe triple play is not the accurate word, although that was what was announced. Triple play includes voice, data and video. What's on offer does not include fixed voice at all," chief executive Tarek Tantawy told reporters on the sidelines of an investor conference in New York.
"The two new license operators will not be allowed to provide voice services. They will have to give us access to their network to provide voice services."
The government said in late September that it would invite bids for combined cable television, telephone and Internet licenses, which it expects will generate $1 billion in new investments within five years.
Tantawy said the deadline for submitting the bids is January 12, 2010.
Regional mobile operator Orascom Telecom has said it would likely bid for one of the licenses.
Others tipped to bid include the UAE's Etisalat, which already competes against Mobinil and Vodafone Egypt in Egypt's mobile market. – Reuters
More IT & Telecommunications Stories
- Batelco unveils new business broadband package
- Mobily seals Bharti Airtel partnership deal
- VIVA launches exclusive rewards program
- US govt to shed control of net addresses
- Etisalat sets ultimatum for SIM card registration
- Acer targets double digit growth in Saudi
- UAE mobile radiation levels below global standards
- Arpu's T-Pay gateway draws top game vendors
- SAP unveils new cloud platform
- Zain launches smartphone insurance
- Windows XP users warned on usage risks
- Tecom units welcome 181 new companies
- Ooredoo chairman joins WB gender equality council
- Mobily, Jasper start wireless M2M service
- Telecom Egypt expects mobile licence in Mar or Apr
- Sandvine wins big Etisalat follow-on order
- Aveva software for engineering plant design
- Nawras to upgrade VSat services across Oman
- Mobily, Huawei sign smart network contract
- Etisalat, Tata launch video connect service
- Talia seals new partnership with Thuraya
- 4-pillar approach for telecom operators to boost growth
- Dubai mobile emissions below global standards
- Nawras signs capacity contract with SES
- Etisalat showcases satellite solutions at Cabsat
- Batelco launches 4G LTE roaming
- Gulf Air clinches best innovation award
- Viva inks Pepsi partnership deal
- Du offers free smarphones on tablet purchase
- Batelco launches double credit promotion