Omantel doubles Q4 profit to $50m
Muscat, February 10, 2010
Oman Telecommunications Co (Omantel) doubled its fourth-quarter net profit to 19.4 million rials ($50.39 million), from 9.7 million rials a year-earlier, according to Reuters calculations.
Full-year net profit for 2009 after tax rose to 125.2 million rials, up 5 percent from 119.2 million rials in 2008, Oman's largest company by market value said on Wednesday.
It did not give a quarterly breakdown of its results, which Reuters calculated based on previous financial statements. Fourth-quarter profit was just below Gulf Investments Services' forecast of 21.3 million rials.
"Omantel's results were as expected, and from speaking to some investors they seem happy with the numbers," said Sayed Quadry, vice-president of business development at Amwal Investment in Muscat. "There should be more buying coming in today."
Omantel, the Gulf region's second-smallest telecommunication's company, suffered in the nine months of 2009 since its monopoly was broken by Nawras, a unit of Qatar Telecommunications Co and faced more competition from mobile virtual network operators (MVNO).
The company, which employs about 2,800 people, said in November it expected to make savings of about 2.8 million rials from voluntary redundancies it offered in 2009 in a move to reduce costs.
Omantel said then it expected to make savings starting 2010 onwards.
Oman, which owns 70 percent of Omantel, invited investor interest in July 2008 for the sale of a 25 percent stake in the operator, but halted the process as the financial crisis swept across the Gulf region. - Reuters
More IT & Telecommunications Stories
- Schneider enhances PowerChute with virtualization support
- Batelco shines at Dubai telecom show
- Zain warns over service disruptions
- EIAST signs Dubai Sat-2 deal
- Etisalat unveils cloud solution for businesses
- 'Smart' innovations for cities to be showcased
- TRA Bahrain launches new website
- Omantel share sale subscribed 1.99 times
- Virgin Mobile to launch Saudi service by June
- Cisco launches new platform for telecom operators
- Bit9 appoints new regional director
- Menatelecom launches new 4G offer
- Batelco unveils new business broadband package
- Mobily seals Bharti Airtel partnership deal
- VIVA launches exclusive rewards program
- US govt to shed control of net addresses
- Etisalat sets ultimatum for SIM card registration
- Acer targets double digit growth in Saudi
- UAE mobile radiation levels below global standards
- Arpu's T-Pay gateway draws top game vendors
- SAP unveils new cloud platform
- Zain launches smartphone insurance
- Windows XP users warned on usage risks
- Tecom units welcome 181 new companies
- Ooredoo chairman joins WB gender equality council
- Mobily, Jasper start wireless M2M service
- Telecom Egypt expects mobile licence in Mar or Apr
- Sandvine wins big Etisalat follow-on order
- Aveva software for engineering plant design
- Nawras to upgrade VSat services across Oman