Qtel to develop mobile money services
Doha, February 16, 2010
Qtel has announced plans to make mobile money services available for customers across its international operations at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona.
With its regional footprint covering 17 countries, and more than 53 million customers, the Qtel Group is confident that it will generate strong demand for these services.
In particular, with millions of dollars remitted from the Gulf region to Asian countries every year by expatriate workers, executives are confident that mobile money will have important social as well as financial benefits.
Among the services being developed as part of the Qtel Group’s mobile money proposition, are secure international mobile remittance, mobile payment and mobile recharge facilities.
“There is a significant community of under-banked and un-banked segments in the Middle East, North Africa and Asia, and mobile money services will play an increasingly important role in addressing their needs,” said Dr Nasser Marafih, chief executive, Qtel Group.
Research from leading group Gartner suggests that more than three billion of the world’s adult population will be able to transact electronically via mobile or other Internet-based technology by 2014, he added.-TradeArabia News Service
More IT & Telecommunications Stories
- Scope ME named distributor for InfoWatch
- Nawras quadruples 3G+ mobile services
- Menatelecom expands bill paying network
- Du joins new global cable consortium
- Kuwait moves to create telecoms watchdog
- Batelco backs Royal Fund for Martyrs
- Egypt's Global Telecom posts $749m Q4 loss
- Red Hat launches open source BPM suite
- Batelco announces new board
- Batelco offers improved broadband
- You don't own phone numbers, warns TRA
- Tech giants back top Qatar ICT event
- Du to provide wifi access in public areas
- Zain finalises $800m, five-year loan facility
- Ooredoo Q4 net profit falls 36pc to $140m
- Mobily, Etisalat team up for LTE roaming
- Batelco approves $84m dividends for 2013
- Etisalat Q4 profit rises 70pc to $394m
- Kenya telecom firm to join Etisalat SmartHub
- Aruba appoints new sales director
- Du enters $1.17 billion financing deals
- VIVA extends 4G LTE offer
- Batelco to update students with latest technologies
- Etisalat SmartHub seals IPX agreement
- Etisalat picks Alcatel for LTE network expansion
- Boeing, QCRI host machine learning forum
- Mobily provides 4G LTE international roaming
- Viva Kuwait, Huawei to set up innovation centre
- Etisalat, Airtel deal to boost network services
- Batelco offers 4G LTE backup solution