GBM completes phase I of IT upgrade for PDO
Muscat, April 11, 2010
Gulf Business Machines (GBM) Oman and Cisco Systems have completed the first phase of a project to upgrade the Petroleum Development Oman (PDO) Data Centre, using the latest Cisco Nexus hardware.
This is the first time the complete range of Nexus Data Centre switches have been installed in the Sultanate of Oman, said a statement.
The project was undertaken as part of an initiative within PDO to improve efficiency, reliability, expandability and scalability at their data centre, located at PDO’s Mina Al-Fahal headquarters.
Additionally, the upgrade is part of a plan to achieve Tier 3/4 compliance of the Telecommunications Industry Association’s TIA-942 Standard, while paving the way for use of emerging server technologies such as cloud computing and virtualisation. The TIA-942 Standard defines international guidelines for planning and building data centres, particularly with regard to cabling systems and network design.
“Our decision to upgrade to Cisco Nexus switches was driven by the need to optimise reliability and efficiency, while preparing our infrastructure to handle architectural changes involving new server technologies,” said Abdullah Sultan Al-Rashdi, Data Centre Upgrade project manager Petroleum Development Oman.
“With the deployment of Nexus technology, the data centre will benefit from increased energy and resource efficiency, operational continuity and infrastructure that can be scaled cost-effectively,” added Olivier Mouries, country general manager for GBM Oman.-TradeArabia News Service
More IT & Telecommunications Stories
- Etisalat sets ultimatum for SIM card registration
- Acer targets double digit growth in Saudi
- UAE mobile radiation levels below global standards
- Arpu's T-Pay gateway draws top game vendors
- SAP unveils new cloud platform
- Zain launches smartphone insurance
- Windows XP users warned on usage risks
- Tecom units welcome 181 new companies
- Ooredoo chairman joins WB gender equality council
- Mobily, Jasper start wireless M2M service
- Telecom Egypt expects mobile licence in Mar or Apr
- Sandvine wins big Etisalat follow-on order
- Aveva software for engineering plant design
- Nawras to upgrade VSat services across Oman
- Mobily, Huawei sign smart network contract
- Etisalat, Tata launch video connect service
- Talia seals new partnership with Thuraya
- 4-pillar approach for telecom operators to boost growth
- Dubai mobile emissions below global standards
- Nawras signs capacity contract with SES
- Etisalat showcases satellite solutions at Cabsat
- Batelco launches 4G LTE roaming
- Gulf Air clinches best innovation award
- Viva inks Pepsi partnership deal
- Du offers free smarphones on tablet purchase
- Batelco launches double credit promotion
- Cyber threats focus of Bahrain security talks
- Bahrain tech expo to honour innovators
- Scope ME named distributor for InfoWatch
- Nawras quadruples 3G+ mobile services